I sent an email yesterday to DS's IEP manager saying we are wondering why DS is doing the first grade level math curriculum in school. I said that given his obviously advanced ability level, he should not be doing a prescribed curriculum and put into a box by the district. What could he accomplish in math if he was actually taught to his abilities? I said that we need to find creative ways for him to thrive academically in spite of his physical limitations (he has developmental coordination disorder and motor skills that are about 2 years behind). I wrote this deliberately knowing she will forward it to everyone on the IEP team including the principal and his teacher. No one has responded.

I also sent a note in with DS to his teacher this morning stating that DS will no longer be doing the first grade level math homework, since it is approx. 2.5 years below his level. I said that he prefers to do advanced math and will do that instead. I can't control what they make him do at school, but I can control what he does at home. What are they going to do? Report me to CPS because I'm not forcing him to do math that he mastered a long time ago?