Originally Posted by ultramarina
... It's harder to learn the system when you have a language barrier/cultural barrier!
Agreed. However some may say this does not indicate a "bias", a prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair (credit: google).

A person or family chooses to be in a new culture and either accepts or rebuffs offers of friendship, information, etc. This may parallel the recent thread discussing whether there is a 'wrong personality' for advocating; Group consensus indicated some approaches may be more successful than others... and some individuals may be quicker to adopt the approaches recommended as successful.

Regarding gifted education, families in the "majority culture" are learning how the educational system (and various different GT programs/services) work, right alongside with families from other cultures. There is no sense of bias or prejudice as information, encouragement, and BTDT/YMMV anecdotes are shared freely with all, without regard to level of English, culture, ethnicity, or SES.

Originally Posted by ultramarina
I imagine myself trying to advocate for my child in another country's education system, and--wow.
Having befriended and helped several new families, I see the positives and the opportunity.