Originally Posted by master of none
Yes! You need to pursue additional testing. There's a big spread between those scores and the GAI is higher than the FSIQ. Processing speed with coding as you know is quite low.

I'd be looking for something that slows the speed--anxiety, motor disability, memory, dysgraphia, attention. I'm sure there are other issues that can slow speed too. Others can chime in with their own experience too.

Achievement testing might give a better idea about how challenges affect performance/learning/showing what he knows. And there is more in depth testing that can be done by a professional who can use the test results that you have and combine it with knowledge of every day function to help in making a clearer diagnosis if one is warranted.

Does he have difficulty with writing? Fine motor activities in general? What do you see at home and school that might make you suspicious of a disability?

The tester said directly that there are attention issues, but he has not had enough time with DS and did not do testing for it. So while he is not going to diagnose him with attention deficit, he knows there are problems there. The teacher has thought he has either ADD or ODD but I don't see it at home. So in part this testing was to see if some of his issues are that he has been bored in class and less ADD/ODD. The dr mentioned that I seem to let him take the lead interest wise so I might not see it as I allow him to stay engaged in things through his own subject choices. Which I do so maybe that explains why I just don't see ADD.

DS hates to write and has horrific handwriting. I have seen perfectionistic tendencies and anxiety issues with being right, and worrying over things he can not help.

The tester also pointed out that when he asked him to write as much of the alphabet as he could as quickly as possible, he still stopped to erase letters to rewrite them so they looked as good as he could get them. And we talked a little about the possibility of perfectionist/anxiety effecting his scores, He said that while he didn't think he saw those too much that they still may have effected his score and would cause more issues for him in a classroom. I however have seen him absolutely refuse to do things because he might not get the right.

He said that the thinks DS needs a very structured environment with a no nonsense you have do do it even if you don't want to attitude (in a caring way of course). Which is pretty much how I handle him at home so that part at least sounded right to me. But it just seems like the testing only scratched the surface and left me with more questions than answers.