Here is one from my DS5 application:

One day, a few months ago, DS informed me that he knew what 6 minus 8 equaled. I quickly corrected him and told him he needed to subtract the smaller number from the larger number. He quickly corrected me and told me that he could subtract 6 from 8. He told me the answer was negative 2. I asked him how he learned negative numbers and he replied �No one taught me, I just know it.� I quizzed all of our family members and his preschool teachers�No one has admitted to telling him that negative numbers even existed.

Over the next few weeks, DS made up and solved many problems that resulted in negative numbers. He even created his own number line on paper and taught himself how to add and subtract negative numbers. Problems such as -2 - (-8) = 6 are easily solved by DS. He even began to question me on how to multiply and divide negative numbers. He was able to learn the rules with one sitting. DS also concluded that since infinity is the largest number than negative infinity must be the smallest number.

Crisc