Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
I'll bet the guy's PhD was in "Math Education" and that he's taught TEACHERS at the college level-- maybe even within a math department, but still, that is not the same thing as knowing the discipline like colleagues that teach math to STEM majors and math graduate students.

Wow!! You are good! When you mentioned that, I recalled that was exactly what he said he did - he taught teachers at the college level.

We are just beginning this digital journey and I guess I'm hopeful, but I'm also cautious.

The rep. told us that the gifted/advanced students won't be held back and they can move through the program at their own pace. The example he gave was a class that was working on grade 6 curriculum 1st semester, but advanced to grade 7 curriculum for the 2nd semester. The example was not a big jump, but it at least sounds promising. If it works that way and the school will allow it, this will be good for my DD. I assume there is probably a way the school can tweak the program to allow some advancement, but not allow students to just keep going and going until they top out. I just can't see our school allowing a 4th grader to work through the program to a 7th grade level just because the student is capable. I can hear it now, "What will she do in 7th grade if she is already doing all the 7th grade work in the 4th grade?" (it just so happens we have heard that excuse already)

The other thing they explained to us is that in some subjects the students will take a pretest. If they do well on the pretest the program will automatically adjust and weed out some of the annoying repetition. This is another part that will benefit my DD - if it really works that way. Unnecessary repetition is very toxic for DD.

Are these things any of you have noticed at all in working with this type of program?