Originally Posted by ultramarina
DS was very gifted (!) and that she is very willing to work with us to accommodate his needs. However, she is teaching a class that is mostly low-SES kids who mostly need to just catch up and get on board with basic K skills. She talked about providing harder homework but indicated that she wants our input and is open to our ideas.

I'd look outside the box. What resources are there in the school that can be leveraged? Our younger DS's best kindergarten experience was a pull-out book group run by the school librarian while the other kids were doing phonics. Could the gifted teacher give him even half an hour a week?

so giving him some self-directed writing assignments (short book response stuff) is one idea.

Is he willing to write on his own?

Fill in the bubble reading comp is another. I would like to exempt him from rote letter and phonics work because it makes him insane, but am not sure if asking for that is too much.

We always asked for our younger DS's pullouts to happen then.
The major concern here is that he started off his previous school year at an academic pre-K (state funded curriculum) enjoying the novelty, but my midyear he hated it. Could not stand the repetition and cried most days before school.

That's data. I'd make it a cooperative project based on that. "How can we all accommodate so DS isn't frustrated, while he still gets the writing practice and [whatever else] he needs in K?"

DeeDee