Good advice Geofizz.

To me being "that" parent is more about the parent who is not only hovering and bothersome but having perhaps unrealistic beliefs about their child's abilities and needs ( I hope that isn't me). OF course, unrealistic is often more about what the school and district can provide than what would actually benefit an individual child.

Having scores to back me up is helping me feel like I can appropriately advocate. If my DD had scored in the high ability (but not gifted) range for example, I would have held back to see how she did this year...at least for a little while. Without scores I felt like I might be treated like a mom of a high achieving child who believes she has a PG child. I have no basis to think they would other than my own paranoia but nonetheless it was holding us back.

And to be somewhat fair, that mom was talking pretty quietly to the teacher. It was a bit of a crowd and I just happened to be standing close by. I admit that I totally eavesdropped since she was voicing things that I was thinking and I wanted to see the teacher's response. It is a very good thing to remember though and I will take care in all my interactions with the teacher/principal.