I would add to the above:
*Burn no bridges. This is particularly important if your schooling choices are limited. For me, that almost certainly requires that I wait 24 hours before dealing with an issue so that emails and discussions remain as rational and non-emotional as possible. This also means not speaking negatively about school staff in front of your child.
*Treat all staff at the school as the professionals that they are. Acknowledge their expertise even as you gently guide them to see your child's unique needs.
*As they get older, teach your child how to positively self-advocate. That includes appropriate times and ways to ask the teacher for more, and helping your child find a way to talk to the teacher about being bored without saying "bored." In our case, we spend a lot of time talking about what the teacher's job is, and why the teacher is doing what he or she is doing. This gives DD the perspective to talk to the teacher when addressing particular issues where the level of the class was failing to meet DD's needs.
*Say thank you when someone does right by your child. Be specific with what went right. cc the principal.

Last edited by geofizz; 08/19/13 09:32 AM.