My son has recently been required to sit in the hall during his classroom math period when his assistant principle is unavailable for his English lesson. (He goes to math during their English) Other children who pass by ask how he got in trouble. The teacher�s explanation is that the other kids are jealous that he gets to read during math.

I wonder if our AR programs are different. Ours is just computer based tests that are completed after the child reads a library book. Our school has thousands of tests available for popular current, as well as, classic children and teen books. It is not a regularly scheduled event. If I remember correctly, for 1st grade the kids go to the library in groups of two or three during regular reading homework time if they have recently completed a library book. The tests can also be taken before or after school. When my son was in first grade, he would often take several per week.

Does your daughter�s school teach phonics? Our school does, so our son progressed in reading comprehension on his own while memorizing all the phonics symbols with the rest of the class. Beginning in 3rd or 4th, they read grade level books and answer worksheet pages. Our son reads avidly for pleasure and racks up the AR points in addition to the required and less interesting class work.

We do not have Accelerated Math. Could you describe what it is?