My son in Kindergarten and his classmates recently had memorized parts for a play at school. Each part was about 1/3 of what your son was given.

However...
When I was Kindy my mom offered me and my sister $5 to memorize some scriptures. Big money to us. I had the beattitudes which is much longer than the poem above. I had it memorized perfectly in King James English in less than an hour. My sister who was older and had to memorize a chapter thought it extremely unfair.

In one of the churches we attended in the 3yr old Bible class the children learned the 27 books of the New Testament and could recite them in order. Quite neat to watch how quickly they learned with only a bit of reinforcement each week.

SO while most schools don't ask quite so much memorization/recitation, I have very often seen higher expectations with church and religious education. We committed a great deal of Scripture to memory when I was a child and I have been amazed that so much stayed with me permanently.

The learning is usually quite easy with rhythm and repetition. Make a game of it and I expect you will be amazed at how easily it comes. Good luck!