I have posted about my son's behavior problem at school not too long ago . He's in 2nd grade , 8 years old .

So , the school started doing a private behavior chart with him , since punishment and negative consequences isn't working with him . They started working on positive rewards .

The way it works , DS has to collect 17 initials out of 24 to meet his goal . It is for :

- Talking in appropriate time
- Be respectful with adults and peers
- Finishing work in timely manner
- Use time and materials wisely

Each for : Power up time , math , language and arts , specials ( music , art , pe , computer ) , science , lunch / recess .

So far he's doing better with this behavior chart . He met his goals , sometimes he even gets almost perfect day , some other days just met his goal . So overall it's not too bad .

Now , my problem is ..

During lunch , the school has last 5 minute silent lunch . You're not allowed to talk or whisper or anything , just put your head down and don't talk . And if they see you talk or whisper or anything , then you get consequences . The consequences is losing recess the next day . Because their recess is before lunch time . Their purpose for 5 minutes silent lunch is so that whoever needs to finish , can finish their lunch still .

I really don't think it is fair at all . Especially with DS' problem with behavior , and now that he's been doing better with it and met his goals , etc . He had his recess taken away even if he had a great day . Why ? because he got caught talking or whispering during the last 5 minute silent lunch .

This is very upsetting for me , it feels like it defeats the purpose of giving him a positive rewards . I am afraid his behavior will be spiraling down the drain again because he'll think " i had a good day but my recess got taken away .. so what's the point earning 17 or more signatures anyway ? "

Don't they know these kids need to let their energy out , they sit all day , they can't talk all day , and lunch and recess are the only time they can socialize with their friends !!

Am i overreacting about this ? please let me know if i am . My husband was not happy about this at all , yesterday he emailed the school , but the school's reply was nothing that we already knew .. " we allow our students to talk except for the last 5 minutes "

I mean , these kids are so wound up with talking , chit chatting for 25 minutes and then they expect them just to shut up and be quiet just like that ? And punishing them by taking away next day recess for it ?