It's frustrating when testing doesn't match the child.

We had a similar experience with our DS8 (gr.3). He has diagnoses of ADHD combined type, expressive/receptive language processing disorder, and a binaural integration imbalance (part of CAPD), as well as strabismus... all issues that could/would interfere with his ability to attend to and comply with testing instructions. (With the exception of the strabismus, maybe... it's somewhat mild).

We've had his psychologist and a child psychiatrist both say that he needs to be medicated to obtain accurate test results (we're opting not to medicate at the present time... but that's another thread). Both docs dismissed the cognitive test results as being fraught with errors and placed little value on them.

(kind of makes me wonder why we bothered)

As for the zoning out... both DS and I do that. (I tested as HG). I'd always assumed it was boredom for me, and maybe ADHD/boredom for DS? I have a tremendous amount of difficulty staying engaged when the pace is too slow and I tend to just float away. Not sure if that's GT, ADHD, or both.

You have valid points for your DS about possible test anxiety and vision issues. (Meanwhile don't worry about him being pigeon-holed: you could have him retested, or better yet, why not build a portfolio based on achievement to use for future advocacy?)

Is he happy at school? Do you feel like he's being challenged enough?

Last edited by CCN; 03/05/13 02:55 PM.