Hi Guys:
Have not read the articles posted by Kriston yet, but had to chime in...
We will be facing that very same situation shortly, but when I inquired with the GC of the prospective HS, she said "we will accomodate every child, we do have some pretty advanced kids". I know that the kids are allowed to take classes at the state flagship, but I do not know if they have to be juniors to do that...
One local school that is a dual enrollment school, and "officially" they say that it is for juniors and seniors only, but in practice, if you are a sophomore and your ACT is is 23 or higher, you can ask for an exepmtion and it is always granted. Why don't they talk about it openly? There is not a lot of kids like that!
Our plan is not to graduate early, but math will be a problem. DS will take Pre-Calc next year in 8th grade and after that I want him to take AP Calc BC. I do not know yet what the school's reaction is going to be to the AP class as a freshman, but I know for sure that they currently have a 7th grader who is in Pre-Calc,(the school has a magnet program for 7th and 8th graders), so if they are allowing for that.....

On another note, I found out about a different problem. It happens when your child does get credit for HS classes taken in Middle School. The grade gets calculated into their HS GPA. No problem if the grade is A, but if it is lower, you are messing up with the GPA. Not a pretty picture.