My kid basically "thought" a lot about math, played with the calculator and can do addition (even 2 digit with carry-over), subtraction, multiplication (he does something with his head and so I know he is not memorizing the facts but actually computing), basic questions like "109 + y = 120. What is y ?" type of questions verbally. He can count to a number/backward from any given number. He is very unchallenged at school with respect to math (and other things). We plan to again ask his teacher, but I see K as a lost year.

I am also not sure what value worksheets such as "put the ending consonant/ending letters and color all objects that end with the letter "t" in one color" have for a person who has been reading for a while now. Is this kind of worksheet supposed to enhance their spelling abilities ? He does those types of worksheets, though he is occasionally baffled by the tiny pictures they have on there (he used to openly protest before, but I told him it is disrespectful not to do worksheets or show the work). However, that said, is there a "better" way to show the work ?

Last edited by mom2one; 02/14/13 05:40 PM.