That's an interesting point. I have actually had that very conversation with her and she says learning. But I perhaps haven't delved deep enough in to whether that is just because she knows that's what I'd be looking for or whether that's really how she feels. She is certainly not a kid who feels she has to demonstrate what she knows - she's very much an under the radar kind of girl and has been since preschool (and has a group of friends in class who are highly competitive when she is not).

The psychologist who assessed her commented that while her processing speed was fine (though 98% rather than >99.9%), she found dd to be very reflective and that she required a lot of time to present answers that she (dd) felt adequately captured what she wanted to say. My gut is that these two factors - the social element and her reflectiveness - play a role in it too, in that she rarely has a chance to give a meaningful answer in class before things move on or the other girls have answered before she gets what she wants to say out. And so she's kind of stopped bothering to. That only occurs to me now as I type this.

Last edited by Nerdnproud; 02/05/13 06:31 PM. Reason: Mobile device related poor typing!