Originally Posted by AlexsMom
I suspect that 6x12 was expected to be known as a rote fact, rather than worked out.

We haven't done EPGY math, but fwiw the problem you mentioned is very typical of problems my kids had in 3rd grade math. As Alexsmoms suggested, I also suspect the EPGY folks expect that 11s and 12s are supposed to be included with rote math fact memorization - they were for us.

Although we haven't done the EPGY math, my kids have done online math. Whether or not they could/did do it independently depended both on how easily they grasped math concepts as well as how much they liked working independently - my ds had no problem with it, but my dds are more social - they didn't really enjoy listening to the computer or reading explanations... they had a lot more "fun" with it when I was somehow involved. I didn't necessarily have to be showing them the concepts or explaining and/or checking their work - sometimes really all they wanted was for me to be sitting at the same table doing my own independent work.

polarbear