Originally Posted by cc6
have you requested a possible move to 1st grade?

I haven't, and probably wouldn't want a skip this year for the same reason we didn't pursue early entry. We like having her around and are not eager to send her off to a full day any earlier than we have to. (K is 3 hours a day.)

Originally Posted by cc6
thru the independent study, i have been given books which include the teachers edition for the treasures program CA uses, and it specifically explains day by day for teacher. breaking it down to minutes of the day to teach a specific item.
*and it also then breaks it further into special needs/approaching grade level/at grade level/ beyond. (it even has ESL!!) so i am wondering if you're childs teacher is following her teacher guide?
it specifically states what an accelerated student should be doing. the readers are higher level etc...the teacher really doesn't have to think too much outside the box LOL because it is all right there in b/w!! ((i assume that most academic programs would incl these different levels in their curriculum as well, treasures can't be only one to do so?))

Ugh, seriously?? Because Treasures actually IS what they use. I had no idea the program had it all spelled out what to do with a kid who's beyond grade level. I doubt it would be enough, but at least it would show that the teacher has some idea that different kids might need different instruction. As far as I can tell, every student in the class is reading the exact same things. I went to the classroom again this week and didn't see any differentiation- all the kids rotate through the centers doing the same activities, working with the same booklets.

In other news, I've been chatting with a mom who wants to try to get the school to start a homeschool enrichment program. Homeschooling is looking better and better. I'll probably start a new thread to solicit some input on that.