Originally Posted by CCN
Originally Posted by ultramarina
It can be difficult to prove advanced math ability unless you've been actively teaching, in any case. Unlike reading, children generally need concepts introduced if they are going to do well on assessments ahead of grade level. (When I saw my DD's assessments for a grade ahead, she bombed out on things like pints and gallons and "lines of symmetry," which was hardly surprising since we hadn't taught her that stuff.) I agree that EM is especially weird and in its own odd world.

Yes... so if you haven't been teaching it, you have a kid who can't stay focused on the in class stuff because it's so boring, but can't demonstrate advanced ability because of lack of instruction-based acquired knowledge.

This is one of the reasons I "after school" my two in math (actually not DD9 anymore since she's in the math gifted pull out and can do stuff on-line at home). But DS8 - yes definitely. We do advanced stuff at home.

You advocate the best you can, and keep on advocating. Sometimes, though... you just have to get behind the wheel and drive the car yourself.

thanks, yeah we are doing some stuff at home. She has a math program on her tablet that she loves to play. I think our 'mistake' was letting her stop playing her math games and doing her math work at home, when she started first grade. She WAS doing that, but then she started school and her math curriculum was just SO different, and of course we were busy after school and it just got pushed aside. We have started it back up though, once we realized that she was really regressing in that area. I also introduced some logic puzzles and analogies that I used to love to do when I was a kid. She is enjoying those a lot too.