This is more of a complaint than anything else, but it feels like just one more kick in the advocacy.

Last year in 6th grade, some teachers sent an email telling parents that A and B students should not sign up for parent conferences. My boy is on a 504 and we had issues to discuss so I replied advising of the reason. But then, I met several parents of excelling students who felt it was their right to get to know the teachers of their kids and they chose just to ignore the advise.

So, now it's 7th grade. Still with a boy on a 504. Teachers said to the students (or maybe it was on morning announcements) that if you have all As and Bs, there's no need for your parents to meet the teachers, and if you have any Cs or below, please tell your parents we want to see them. So, I ignored it, signing up to see 3 of the 7 teachers. Math because they just got IPADS in school and DS has a windows computer and we are trying to work things out to get the two to communicate (school hasn't given the kids any cables). English because the teacher has given no feedback on writing other than erratic grades that DS doesn't understand and I don't get to see. And Social Studies because DS has had issues printing and getting zeros for assignments that the teacher loses when emailed, promises to fix, and never does.

I just got a call from the counselor telling me the teachers were complaining that I scheduled meetings and would I please reconsider. I almost did, but I told her no, I needed to meet with the teachers.

I know it's silly to justify all the reasons to meet with teachers- a sign of insecurity, and it is, so I guess I'm here asking for strength to feel justified to meet with teachers at parent conference time. Part of me feels like if parents ignore this, then maybe they will realize they need to meet with parents.

I'm wondering if it's related to the large number of students and that teachers don't want to come in on the third day of parent conferences, but I don't know. And honestly, I don't think that we should pay teachers for a parent conference day and then have them strong arm the parents to not come.

Please help me think rationally!