Originally Posted by knute974
Could she be going underground? Here's a link to an old Linda Silverman article about very young girls dumbing down to fit in as early as kindergarten.
http://www.jeffcogifted.org/images/jagc/pdfs/where_have_all_the_girls_gone.pdf

Does the other kid who is having issues have similar abilities? If so, maybe you could ask the teacher to give the two of them little challenges together. If she had a buddy who was doing the same stuff and getting a little bit of special attention, she might show her true colors.

It's possible and something the psychologist told us she has probably been doing since she started preschool. That is when her growth trajectory changed. I do volunteer once a week and I know my dd is an avid daydreamer. So I wonder if she is getting these questions wrong when she is spacing out and then the teacher asks her something and brings her back to reality and dd has no clue what the teacher is asking.

I don't personally know the abilities of the other child, on the surface she seems neurotypical. I try to keep my dd's ability to myself. I was once at the park with another mom who was complaining about how their child wasn't being challenged enough in school and I thought to myself "finally somebody I can talk to who will understand". Yeah, it didn't go very well. In the end I think our situations were not so similar and it got very quiet and awkward.

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 10/04/12 11:59 AM.