Yes, my apologies! There are five!! (And I really should know better, having family scattered from Sitka to Kenai to Hilo and several points in between. blush )

I'll also say-- ditto to everything that Polarbear mentions. The Pacific NW region is not particularly urban-centric as far as lifestyle choices and culture go. What draws people to the cities in the region is that they are accessible to wilderness areas and all the activities that go with them. It's highly DIY/outdoorsy and fairly isolationist-leaning by nature, though that also means that transplants from elsewhere are not remarkable (which is a positive thing for those looking to move in).

I do think that the population map pretty much says it all. Coming from the northeast, this is going to be a decrease in options educationally, pretty much any way you look at things. The one possible exception is the LA basin, which has a large-enough population center to support more variety.

The trade in educational opportunity and cultural events will (maybe) be offset for some families with the access to low-cost outdoor activities and a relaxed/tolerant culture that actively supports... well, being 'quirky.' That part of life here is downright priceless.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.