Originally Posted by Grinity
Originally Posted by mountainmom2011
ETA: I may push that she goes to a higher grade for reading because she's already the highest reader in her class and the students in her reading group aren't near as advanced as she is...
I think your daughter deserves to read with other children who are at a similar level of readiness. I wouldn't push directly for them to test her reading above level - I would push for them to teacher her at her current level with peers - so yup, then get to have the 'bright idea' to test her above level and use their own tools to shed light on this concern.

You can start the conversation by pointing out that the books she chooses and enjoys from the library are: and list 5 recent favorites. You can probably also google the names of the books and 'lexile' or whatever system they are used to.

I use the analogy of 'shoe size' I don't care what the number is that is stamped inside the shoe, I want a shoe that fits and supports my feet.

Good luck!
Grinity

I guess that is more of the issue at hand. Ultimately it doesn't really matter what level she is at because it may not really affect which book she chooses to read for leisure. Although she currently wants to read the first Harry Potter book and I think that may be a bit much for her.

My frustration is that it appears she is in a reading group with other kids who I can personally tell aren't at her level (except for 1 other girl who I have yet to hear read). I volunteer 2 hours a week so I'm in the classroom and throughout the year I've been able to get an idea of where everybody is at. So for the majority of the year she has been in a group where she isn't really being challenged with the reading material.

Of course things may change between now and the start of 1st grade and there may be more students at her level come fall. But it is something I'm certainly going to bring up with her 1st grade teacher. I was ignorant and naive in thinking my dd was in a group with her peers when it came to her reading level.