Events like these are considered public affairs events, and organizations make requests. I don't know if the girls scouts made a request but I doubt they would be denied if the crew had time available. I'm also not clear why having an organization that caters to one "group" needs to take away from the others. There are many examples of groups, boy/girl scouts are just one and while my daughter could possibly join the boy scouts, I doubt she would enjoy it or want to do this. I did play baseball as a kid because we missed softball sign up. While I didn't hit home runs, I did steal a lot of bases and get walked a lot smile.....

I wanted to second Prissy's point. I would think girls would want to find like role models to show them that they can do it as well vs a male mentor.

While I don't think I ran into bias in college, I did get some bias in elementary and high school (ooposite from DAD22s experience where girls got special favors). So it can go both ways. Instead of being bitter, I just like to prove them wrong and even today enjoy finding solutions to problems/errors that the guys sometimes don't see or overlooked.

I would suggest if anyone is looking for mentors it sounds like there might be some available on this forum (for a wide variety of careers).