Originally Posted by Wyldkat
Parents tell me horror stories of hours of homework in third grade, of fighting their children to get it done when they are already exhausted from school and a myriad of structured activities, of it taking three times as long because the children just can't handle anymore work or structure.

I obviously can't speak for other school districts in other cities and other states, but my son's school is nothing like this. The only homework they get is spelling. Plus - the "myriad of structured activities" are nothing to do with the school, surely ? My son attends Cub Scouts, swimming lessons, and soccer - but none of them are through the school. Surely if the child doesn't have time to do his homework, it's the fault of the parents, not the school.
I have to admit I'm a bit ignorant as to what the exact definition of a charter school is - but on the subject of discrimination, I know a child who is deaf, and was not accepted into our state school for the deaf (which his dad had attended when he was in school)- because he also has cerebral palsy.