Originally Posted by Pam
Hi!

I am in need of some information. My daughter is in first grade, but reading at above 5th grade level. She is above average in math. Her school was interested in advancing her by one grade. I was thinking to make a better decision I should have her tested. Is this necessary? If so what tests are best?
If the school is ready to skip now I suggest you accept the skip immediately and also persue an IQ + achievement test as well. The school may be wiilling to do the testing for free. With kids who are so far outside the norm one has to try things and see how things work out. I would still advise to get the testing to see what it says. The testing may indicate for example that a single skip is unlikely to be enough even though it is a nescessary first step.

The key to consider in my perspective is to try and determine how unusual she is relative to her local school. How many other kids in her class are reading or mathing at her level? How many other kids in the next grade up meet or surpass her? How many other kids in the grade 2 years up are doing it? School works when a child is 'in good company' at the top of her grade level. Just like I might need a size 10 pants at one store but a size 6 at another store, I don't care about the number on the classroom door, I care about the top bunch of kids inside the classroom. A great teacher can also be a great asset but in general teachers teach to the level that the students are at. Yes it is true that rate of learning can be a problem but one has to start somewhere.

Best wishes
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com