There is a gifted middle school program that she will attend. There is no transportation offered by the school district. Parents tend to carpool. Unfortunately, they are losing a lot of kids from the program because parents who work have a hard time with the 2:30 pickup even with carpools.
Yes, math is leveled. DD will take a test later this school year for placement.

I talked to a friend who has a kid in the middle school program. Her DS skipped so he is a year ahead of DD though they are the same age. She said that the last bit of elementary was tough on DS but that things have been much better in the middle school gt program. She fit like it was a better fit overall because it was easier for him to be met at his level, at least for 7th grade.

I think that I will keep pushing on the math to make sure that DD tests into an appropriate class. On the Explore, she only missed a couple questions where she hadn't been exposed to the concepts/material in math. I'm not sure what else they could do for her in language arts since the teacher has already tweaked things on our behalf and has said that's all she can offer in elementary.