Sorry for the delay on the review of BFSU... will definitely post something before bed tonight.

I am uncomfortable without some sort of science textbook. Though BFSU has plenty of additional reading suggestions, they are predictably within the normal reading range for the suggested age of the science lesson, so likely to sometimes be a bit down-level for a HG+ child.

I noticed that Glencoe / McGraw-Hill put out a series of science textbooks and supporting materials. Has anyone had experience with those? I ask because I was pleasantly surprised by the Glencoe World History, but I realize that that might not say much about the suitability of their entire line.

I'm thinking about buying a decent microscope. I bought DS one last year, but it turned out to be junk because I didn't know what I was doing. Is there a microscope anyone would recommend that would take a kid through the first years of science just fine, but as cheaply as possible? I am aware of the Brock Magiscope, but would like something a little more traditional-- I don't see us needing to do any microscope work in the field (DS has a decent little pocket scope for that anyway) and want something where it's easier to change objectives.

What are the features to look for in a microscope for a student at the middle and high school level? In particular, what's the minimum maximum magnification you'd recommend?

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick