Originally Posted by AlexsMom
So I pulled out YouTube. We looked at the Fotoshop by Adobe spoof, Dove Evolution, a montage of "average person with normal makeup on left / same person with professional makeup / hair on the right,"

My DD said she felt a lot better about how she looked at the end. Just watching how they faked everything up made a huge difference.

DW and I talked about this a few years ago.

She saw a site like the one below and her first reaction was, "I'M A 10!I'M a 10!"

I did the same thing for a niece, and she had the same reaction.

http://freshpics.blogspot.com/2010/08/50-outstanding-celebrity-photo.html

The flip side is when you also show them the men before they are retouched. LOL

Originally Posted by Lori H.
My daughter is an adult now and still very concerned about her appearance, but I think it is not such a bad thing except she tells my son how important appearance is. ... She tells him his appearance will be very important later in life. The apartment complex where she lives is filled with only pretty, successful people.

DW and I lived at a place like the above for a few years. Everyone looked good, but few were functionally fit. An Army friend who is still active duty visited me - and he had a bit of a gut and scars from war. But was also functionally very fit. And highly intelligent with interesting stories and perspectives. He was not a pretty boy. But he got a lot of attention because he was real, not fake.

A lot of people only have their looks and the time they spend getting those looks. They develop nothing else - neither from a true fitness standpoint nor experiences nor knowledge. They are pretty boring to talk to and be with when compared to their peers who are real.

Last edited by Austin; 01/19/12 11:53 AM.