Originally Posted by chelliw
The class will consist of all potential gifted students and students struggling to make grade level--research supported idea, supposedly.
I'd love to see them show you the actual research, or even give a reference to the book that says this is recommended.

One one hand if all the potentially gifted students are in the same group, I would hate to have one sister in it and the other sister in rooms designed to have no peers!

On the other hand, it's quite possible that they haven't changed enough to make having them in the same class a good idea...they are older now, but do you still see the same pattern? Will they do the same activity at home?

Handling competition well is a big part of learning, so in some sense your girls have an advantage - healthy competition can spurt them both on to learn more and give them lots of chances to learn to handle the difficult lesson of competition...afterall - both of them are sure to met lots of people over their lifetimes who are stronger in an area than the other.

It's possible to take a step back and wonder if they are both showing perfectionistic behavior because of lack of academic challenge, and this having very little to do with the twin thing. How would you deal with this situation if it were happening to one of them and some random child from their classroom?

Do you have a sense that they are 'about as gifted' as the other kids who will eventually get into the gifted program, or that even in the gifted program that they will be 'unusually gifted?'

I wish I had more BTDT experience...good luck!
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com