ugghh...typed my reply and didn't post.

Anyway, thank you all for your advice. Very helpful.

We have considered LDs. I had her do some Orten Gillingham type tutoring for reading two years ago. It didn't seem to be dsylexia after all. She came on super strong in reading, basically when she was ready. I still might do a LD screening this summer just in case.

I think the "late bloomer" idea is spot on. She's been singing multiplication facts in the car recently and doing mental math super fast. But dare I ask that to happen during school and she'd refuse!

I think Grinity's idea is good. Her previous GT class with what was a double grade skip essentially was just too much. She felt beaten down all the time. I guess we were hoping that the regular classroom and reversing the skip would give her the chance to shine. Maybe I've forgotten how slow paced the regular classroom is though. My kids have been in full time GT classrooms for the past 4 years. My perspective might be off. Maybe she'd still shine a bit in the regular class with the skip still in place. She needs the self confidence. I should mention that the elem we have choosen has top rated scores. Very high academics. They seem to be the school that draws families looking for a good school. Their GT enrichment pull outs take the top 15%....I found that strange. There's no special grouping, etc. for the top 3%.

Mumofthree - wow, sounds like our dds have a similiar story. Yes, mine started in year 2 but was doing the year 3 work. It was a tough way to start out in formal schooling. Looking back, she was thrown into the fire. However, she did work very very hard and gains keep coming faster and faster. Her teacher said she was always on task in class and the teacher said she's her all time favorite student. She was always paying attention and working hard.

Another interesting point about my dd. She always hated reading and I kept throwing every chapter book possible at her trying to find one that interested her. I gave in and now supply her with picture books and graphic novels from the library. So far this summer, she reads for about an hour a night. Anyone else have a child like this? Never too interested in books without pictures. She's never even liked to be read to from these types of books. Strange.

Thanks