Originally Posted by Dottie
If the parent loved calculus for example, I'm more likely to suggest GT testing than if the parent struggled with algebra.

Interesting. I usually think of it the other way. I did a lot of graduate work in math, but eventually switched fields. DW has a strong math background as well. But that makes me think, "Of course DS knows a lot of math; we like it, talk about it a lot, and he therefore gets the exposure. If other kids had that kind of environment, they would know a lot as well." This is the kind of rationalization I am prone to, and I don't know whether it is healthy or a disaster.

I will say, the one time I go in the other direction is when the teachers or administrators at school suggest, as they sometimes do, that really there's nothing special going on at all. But I think this bothers me mostly because it is an opinion based on ignorance. These are teachers who seem intimidated by math - even at the elementary or middle school level! - and will do anything to avoid talking about it or accommodations related to it.