One component of all of our schooling decisions, especially at major decision points, has been discussion with our children of exit conditions. Having heard what a particular child was most concerned about with regard to our schooling proposal, we've tried to develop plans to address that concern, and also allowed an escape hatch -- going (back) to another schooling model -- if all of us working together were unable to meet their primary concern. The plan usually involves an agreed-on (or multiple) check-in point(s), as well as frequent, ongoing communication to monitor progress in-between check-ins.
As parents, we assume ultimate responsibility for the decision, but spend plenty of time listening thoughtfully and sympathetically to child perspectives. Some of our decisions have been with reluctant assent by children, but open communication and mutual willingness to try a variety of adjustments first have resulted in the escape hatches going unused so far.