Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: kg3 finding a place to test - 01/09/12 07:20 PM
I was hoping someone could help. I am new to this forum. I am trying to find a place in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area that tests for giftedness. I didn't realize how difficult it is to find someone to privately test for giftedness! Anyway, any recommendations would help. I am currently looking at Cornerstone Assessment & Guidance Center as well as Clements Clinic~my husband and I were also trying out the universities to see if the psychology departments have any way to do giftedness testings for doctoral field work, as we are limited financially.
Thanks!
Posted By: Natk Re: finding a place to test - 01/09/12 09:28 PM
I talked to Dr. Lusby a couple of months ago and she sounded great and very knowlegable about giftedness but very expensive for testing. I have talked to Tandra Wood at UNT and she charges $300 (which is the university's cost for the IQ/achievement testing materials). She will also include a written report at no charge since she performs test for grant/research projects so she can't make a profit. Tandra said she is one of the top IQ testers for this region for DYS. I also left a message for CATS but never got a call back.....I think their main focus is testing for the private schools.
Posted By: epoh Re: finding a place to test - 01/11/12 06:00 PM
Do you by chance have insurance? I've found a counselor in the HEB area that accepts insurance and can administer the WJIII. Let me know if you want her info and I'll msg it to you.

ETA: Also, Cook Children's Behavior dept does testings as well as the Fort Worth Child Study Center.
Posted By: Mara Re: finding a place to test - 01/12/12 08:48 PM
My daughter was tested by Tandra Wood and I would recommend her. She was very professional and was easy for my daughter to connect with.
Posted By: epoh Re: finding a place to test - 01/12/12 08:53 PM
*excited* Just got a date/time for the WJIII Cognitive for DS8.
Posted By: Natk Re: finding a place to test - 01/13/12 03:55 AM
My DD7 is scheduled to test with Tandra Wood on 2/20. I am so glad another family has used her and had a good experience. I was worried if DD7 would connect with her. DD7 is very easy going and gets along with everyone so there shouldn't be a problem. Just didn't want to spend $300 and DD7 get one person that she has bad rapport with that could skew her scores. Which test did your DD take with Tandra? Tandra wants DD7 to take the WISC IV and WIAT. I am a little concerned with testing fatigue taking two test in one day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Posted By: TX G Mom Re: finding a place to test - 01/13/12 04:50 AM
We tested with Tandra Wood recently. She gave DD8 the WISC IV and the WIAT II. The WIAT III is out, but evidently there is some type of problem with the norming scores, so Dr. Wood went with the WIAT II. The tests took about 3 hours to administer and she gave DD a break after the first hour. We received a complete report about a week later, which was very thorough. The only thing I wished she would have done different was that she did not administer the optional tests in the WISC IV.

My DD really liked Dr. Wood.

If you are worried about test fatigue, discuss that with Dr. Wood. I am sure if she detects fatigue, she will schedule another time to complete the tests.

Good luck!
Posted By: Natk Re: finding a place to test - 01/13/12 05:25 AM
TX G Mom,

So glad to hear you had a positive experience with Dr. Wood, too! It's definitely easing my worries with picking the cheapest tester in the area....didn't want to fall into "you get what you paid for" scenario. I had a good rapport with Dr. Wood when I talked to her over the phone so I was hoping my radar was on target that she would be a good tester. Plus she seemed very knowledgable about DYS, which I thought was another sign that she gets gifted kids on how they all work differently.
Posted By: Natk Re: finding a place to test - 01/13/12 05:26 AM
TX G Mom,

Glad Dr. Wood worked out for ya'll since I think I was the one who told you about her. Would have felt horrible if the testing was not a good experience.
Posted By: kg3 Re: finding a place to test - 01/16/12 05:14 PM
Thanks for all the information~We are going the route of Dr. Wood but need to get a hold of her. After hearing your reports, I'm really looking forward to this!
Posted By: kg3 Re: finding a place to test - 01/16/12 05:22 PM
What is the best way to contact Dr. Tandra Wood? I have her email, but I'm not sure of a contact number. Thank you!
Posted By: Pam Re: finding a place to test - 01/17/12 03:38 AM
Hi!

I am in need of some information. My daughter is in first grade, but reading at above 5th grade level. She is above average in math. Her school was interested in advancing her by one grade. I was thinking to make a better decision I should have her tested. Is this necessary? If so what tests are best?
Posted By: kg3 Re: finding a place to test - 01/19/12 06:41 PM
I believe the psychologist you go to would give you a better idea into which test would be given. If you're in the dfw area, Dr. Tandra Wood I hear is very good to go to. You may want to look into your school system and see if they have regular testing for giftedness in students or if they can refer you to a clinic that does do testing for that. Public schools are supposed to test for giftedness for free, however, I personally have read enough up on it and have realized that school testings are not as accurate ~going to a private testing place is the best option.
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: finding a place to test - 01/19/12 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Pam
Hi!

I am in need of some information. My daughter is in first grade, but reading at above 5th grade level. She is above average in math. Her school was interested in advancing her by one grade. I was thinking to make a better decision I should have her tested. Is this necessary? If so what tests are best?
I am always more comfortable with grade skips when IQ scores are available and high, but I do know of kids who have been skipped without having IQ tested. Is the school using the Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS) to evaluate her for a grade skip or just suggesting it based on achievement? I'd at least want them to fill out the IAS. The newest version of it is willing to accept group ability test scores instead of IQ scores (probably due to cost considerations as group tests are much cheaper to do and don't require a psychologist to administer).

Other factors I'd consider would be:

Age (is she older or younger for grade?)
Her interest in skipping
Family history (do you have a history of giftedness/do you have good reason to think that she'll continue to outpace her grade peers and need more than she will get if you don't accelerate?)

FWIW, we did skip one of our children who was already very young for grade, so I certainly wouldn't rule out a skip if she's on the younger end. It's just one thing to think about especially if you don't have a lot of experience with her being with older kids to know how she'll fit with them.
Posted By: Natk Re: finding a place to test - 01/19/12 07:54 PM
KG3,

I would call and leave Dr. Wood a message. I left a voicemail and she called me back in 20 minutes. Dr. Wood gave a lot more insight over the phone pertaining to DD7 than via email. She will communicate via email once you want to set up a date. Plus if you talk to her over the phone you will get a better feel how she is compared to email. I have posted her contact information on prior post under the "Regions" topic. Also, you can google her name and it will pull up her info at UNT.
Posted By: laineylewy Re: finding a place to test - 02/12/12 04:23 AM
Having my son tested with Dr. Wood in March. So glad to hear others have had a good experience with her. I'm really looking forward to it as well.
Posted By: Grinity Re: finding a place to test - 02/12/12 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Pam
Hi!

If the school is ready to skip now I suggest you accept the skip immediately and also persue an IQ + achievement test as well. The school may be wiilling to do the testing for free. With kids who are so far outside the norm one has to try things and see how things work out. I would still advise to get the testing to see what it says. The testing may indicate for example that a single skip is unlikely to be enough even though it is a nescessary first step.

The key to consider in my perspective is to try and determine how unusual she is relative to her local school. How many other kids in her class are reading or mathing at her level? How many other kids in the next grade up meet or surpass her? How many other kids in the grade 2 years up are doing it? School works when a child is 'in good company' at the top of her grade level. Just like I might need a size 10 pants at one store but a size 6 at another store, I don't care about the number on the classroom door, I care about the top bunch of kids inside the classroom. A great teacher can also be a great asset but in general teachers teach to the level that the students are at. Yes it is true that rate of learning can be a problem but one has to start somewhere.

Best wishes
Grinity
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum