Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #119636 01/09/12 12:20 PM
    K
    kg3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I was hoping someone could help. I am new to this forum. I am trying to find a place in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area that tests for giftedness. I didn't realize how difficult it is to find someone to privately test for giftedness! Anyway, any recommendations would help. I am currently looking at Cornerstone Assessment & Guidance Center as well as Clements Clinic~my husband and I were also trying out the universities to see if the psychology departments have any way to do giftedness testings for doctoral field work, as we are limited financially.
    Thanks!

N
    N
    I talked to Dr. Lusby a couple of months ago and she sounded great and very knowlegable about giftedness but very expensive for testing. I have talked to Tandra Wood at UNT and she charges $300 (which is the university's cost for the IQ/achievement testing materials). She will also include a written report at no charge since she performs test for grant/research projects so she can't make a profit. Tandra said she is one of the top IQ testers for this region for DYS. I also left a message for CATS but never got a call back.....I think their main focus is testing for the private schools.

Do you by chance have insurance? I've found a counselor in the HEB area that accepts insurance and can administer the WJIII. Let me know if you want her info and I'll msg it to you.

ETA: Also, Cook Children's Behavior dept does testings as well as the Fort Worth Child Study Center.

Last edited by epoh; 01/11/12 11:01 AM.

~amy
    M
    M
    My daughter was tested by Tandra Wood and I would recommend her. She was very professional and was easy for my daughter to connect with.

*excited* Just got a date/time for the WJIII Cognitive for DS8.

~amy
    N
    N
    My DD7 is scheduled to test with Tandra Wood on 2/20. I am so glad another family has used her and had a good experience. I was worried if DD7 would connect with her. DD7 is very easy going and gets along with everyone so there shouldn't be a problem. Just didn't want to spend $300 and DD7 get one person that she has bad rapport with that could skew her scores. Which test did your DD take with Tandra? Tandra wants DD7 to take the WISC IV and WIAT. I am a little concerned with testing fatigue taking two test in one day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

T
    T
    We tested with Tandra Wood recently. She gave DD8 the WISC IV and the WIAT II. The WIAT III is out, but evidently there is some type of problem with the norming scores, so Dr. Wood went with the WIAT II. The tests took about 3 hours to administer and she gave DD a break after the first hour. We received a complete report about a week later, which was very thorough. The only thing I wished she would have done different was that she did not administer the optional tests in the WISC IV.

My DD really liked Dr. Wood.

If you are worried about test fatigue, discuss that with Dr. Wood. I am sure if she detects fatigue, she will schedule another time to complete the tests.

Good luck!

N
    N
    TX G Mom,

So glad to hear you had a positive experience with Dr. Wood, too! It's definitely easing my worries with picking the cheapest tester in the area....didn't want to fall into "you get what you paid for" scenario. I had a good rapport with Dr. Wood when I talked to her over the phone so I was hoping my radar was on target that she would be a good tester. Plus she seemed very knowledgable about DYS, which I thought was another sign that she gets gifted kids on how they all work differently.

N
    N
    TX G Mom,

Glad Dr. Wood worked out for ya'll since I think I was the one who told you about her. Would have felt horrible if the testing was not a good experience.

K
    kg3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks for all the information~We are going the route of Dr. Wood but need to get a hold of her. After hearing your reports, I'm really looking forward to this!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM