Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    K
    kg3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    What is the best way to contact Dr. Tandra Wood? I have her email, but I'm not sure of a contact number. Thank you!

P
    Pam Offline
    P
    Hi!

I am in need of some information. My daughter is in first grade, but reading at above 5th grade level. She is above average in math. Her school was interested in advancing her by one grade. I was thinking to make a better decision I should have her tested. Is this necessary? If so what tests are best?

K
    kg3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I believe the psychologist you go to would give you a better idea into which test would be given. If you're in the dfw area, Dr. Tandra Wood I hear is very good to go to. You may want to look into your school system and see if they have regular testing for giftedness in students or if they can refer you to a clinic that does do testing for that. Public schools are supposed to test for giftedness for free, however, I personally have read enough up on it and have realized that school testings are not as accurate ~going to a private testing place is the best option.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Pam
    Hi!

I am in need of some information. My daughter is in first grade, but reading at above 5th grade level. She is above average in math. Her school was interested in advancing her by one grade. I was thinking to make a better decision I should have her tested. Is this necessary? If so what tests are best?
    I am always more comfortable with grade skips when IQ scores are available and high, but I do know of kids who have been skipped without having IQ tested. Is the school using the Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS) to evaluate her for a grade skip or just suggesting it based on achievement? I'd at least want them to fill out the IAS. The newest version of it is willing to accept group ability test scores instead of IQ scores (probably due to cost considerations as group tests are much cheaper to do and don't require a psychologist to administer).

Other factors I'd consider would be:

Age (is she older or younger for grade?)
    Her interest in skipping
    Family history (do you have a history of giftedness/do you have good reason to think that she'll continue to outpace her grade peers and need more than she will get if you don't accelerate?)

FWIW, we did skip one of our children who was already very young for grade, so I certainly wouldn't rule out a skip if she's on the younger end. It's just one thing to think about especially if you don't have a lot of experience with her being with older kids to know how she'll fit with them.

N
    N
    KG3,

I would call and leave Dr. Wood a message. I left a voicemail and she called me back in 20 minutes. Dr. Wood gave a lot more insight over the phone pertaining to DD7 than via email. She will communicate via email once you want to set up a date. Plus if you talk to her over the phone you will get a better feel how she is compared to email. I have posted her contact information on prior post under the "Regions" topic. Also, you can google her name and it will pull up her info at UNT.

L
    L
    Having my son tested with Dr. Wood in March. So glad to hear others have had a good experience with her. I'm really looking forward to it as well.

Originally Posted by Pam
    Hi!

If the school is ready to skip now I suggest you accept the skip immediately and also persue an IQ + achievement test as well. The school may be wiilling to do the testing for free. With kids who are so far outside the norm one has to try things and see how things work out. I would still advise to get the testing to see what it says. The testing may indicate for example that a single skip is unlikely to be enough even though it is a nescessary first step.

The key to consider in my perspective is to try and determine how unusual she is relative to her local school. How many other kids in her class are reading or mathing at her level? How many other kids in the next grade up meet or surpass her? How many other kids in the grade 2 years up are doing it? School works when a child is 'in good company' at the top of her grade level. Just like I might need a size 10 pants at one store but a size 6 at another store, I don't care about the number on the classroom door, I care about the top bunch of kids inside the classroom. A great teacher can also be a great asset but in general teachers teach to the level that the students are at. Yes it is true that rate of learning can be a problem but one has to start somewhere.

Best wishes
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets