Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Mom0405 piano keyboard? - 12/21/09 02:20 AM
This may be a silly question; but I was just thinking what to purchase for my DS4.5 who just started piano lessons a few weeks ago, and seems to love it. We do not have a piano yet; but I was going to get a pretty decent keyboard. Then I started (over)thinking, would there be a practicing mentality issue on a keyboard other than a piano? Meaning have any of your younger (4-6yr olds) kids seemed to prefer practicing on a piano to a keyboard or visa versa at home. [I was going to get a Casio PX-130 or a Yamaha P85 keyboard if I didn't get a piano.] I personally would like lessons someday; so having a piano wouldn't be a big deal. Also, do kids lug around their keyboards when they get older to practice? Thanks! -Michelle
Posted By: Kriston Re: piano keyboard? - 12/21/09 02:42 AM
Both my kids use out keyboard a lot. They only play a piano at lessons, and I can't say they are troubled by the difference at all.

I recommend getting one that has sound effects. My kids use the keyboard a lot more because they can play "Ode to Joy" with barking dogs or guttural grunts or gunshots. Ah, the joys of having boys... smile

It's nice that the keyboard is portable so that we can take it on vacation and such. They love getting to "perform" for Grandma!

The one drawback to our keyboard is that it doesn't have pedals, so there's no practicing anything requiring those. But it's a trade I'd make again, especially for the price. Keyboards are a lot cheaper than pianos.
Posted By: Mom0405 Re: piano keyboard? - 12/21/09 02:56 AM
Thanks, Kriston! The keyboards I mentioned both have a pedal (to purchase). LOL about the sound effects. DS has a toy cat "piano" (since age 2). He loves to hear it mew songs - ha!:) These days you can get a piano for practically nothing though, as long as you get it out of the person's home. I wouldn't buy a pinao new. I didn't thik about taking it on trips though.

More thoughts are welcome. He doesn't have lessons again for 2 weeks; but he is supposed to be practicing now. So I need to get something this week.

Posted By: Mom0405 Re: piano keyboard? - 12/21/09 03:01 AM
Thanks, Dottie. I'm not sure what his instructor will think after a year, if DS sticks with it. She suggested a keyboard, since I said I wasn't sure about buying the piano yet. I figure that if we have both, he can take the keyboard with him to different places; or we will be able to sell it, if it's a decent one.
Posted By: LMom Re: piano keyboard? - 12/21/09 04:22 AM
You may want to look into digital pianos which are still cheaper than pianos. If you go with a digital piano find one with graded hammer standard keyboard which mimics a real piano as much as possible.

A regular keyboard can get you only that far. The keys react differently and there is a big difference between playing a real piano and a regular keyboard.
Posted By: jesse Re: piano keyboard? - 12/21/09 04:27 AM
digital keyboard piano that is touch sensitive is nice, good enough to about grade 6-7 piano lessons...
Posted By: kimck Re: piano keyboard? - 12/21/09 04:40 AM
My DS takes piano and has for about 3 1/2 years. We've always had a piano (I inherited an antique upright). He has to practice on a keyboard at his grandparent's house sometimes and it's definitely a very different experience and practice than he gets on the "real" piano. But I don't know if it would have made that big of difference the first year or even 2 (he started at 5). His teacher is working on things like finger strike on really long, fast runs. Our teacher required a regular piano on day one (piano snob!). DS does love to play around with the keyboard when he gets the chance though! I actually do wish we had one for travel, if nothing else.

I think the suggestion to keep your eyes peeled for a used piano is a really good one if you'd like to have one in your home eventually. I have several friends that had to give pianos away to get them out of their homes.
Posted By: fangcyn Re: piano keyboard? - 12/21/09 06:41 AM
I got a piano for ds7 3 years ago. I started lessons myself when I was 5 1/2 with a piano for many years. Then I had a keyboard for a long time since I was moving around. I did not like how keyboard feels. The sounds were different. The keys were not weighted (?). There is not enough octaves on my keyboard to move around. When I started ds on piano, I decided it was time to buy a real one.

I did not want to buy a brand new one. They were very expensive in a piano store. I just wanted a name brand 2nd hand. Craig's list was where I found mine. I have seen almost brand new pianos for very good prices. I have also seen people trying to get rid of their piano and wants you to haul it away. Watch out for old pianos, especially the free ones, because their pins in the piano cannot be tuned or they will break. I wouldn't get the old and free ones.

Posted By: Trillium Re: piano keyboard? - 12/21/09 10:07 AM
Our family is getting a digital keyboard for Christmas. I think what finally sold us on the keyboard over a real piano was that you can use headphones to practice without disturbing the rest of the house.

The one we chose does come with 88 weighted keys, pedals, wood console, etc. (http://sellout.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=10552) The whole thing weighs over 100 lbs., and even though I'm not sure how much of that is console vs. keyboard, I'm not counting on it being very portable.
Posted By: zhian Re: piano keyboard? - 12/21/09 11:55 AM
LMom is spot on. I'm a music teacher (this year :D) and a digital piano with graded hammer keys is a great solution. They're cheap and RELATIVELY portable (ie, two regular people can easily pick one up) compared to a real piano, but they feel like a real piano when you play and they sound great. I bought a Yamaha Arius for my school and love it.
Posted By: JBDad Re: piano keyboard? - 12/21/09 03:29 PM
Santa wrote to ask if he could bring a piano and we (parents) wrote back saying that an electronic keyboard would be better for now (volume control!). He was fine with that and he found one that had lighted keys and touch sensitivity. Amazon has a decent kit (Yamaha EZ-200). We told Santa that this will be good to see if the kids like learning the piano.

It was nice now that Santa uses email. Saves a lot of time.

JB
Posted By: Kriston Re: piano keyboard? - 12/21/09 10:50 PM
Sure. You can link him right to the Amazon page. It's almost like doing the shopping yourself...

wink
Posted By: JBDad Re: piano keyboard? - 12/22/09 01:45 AM
Kriston (and others) how did you approach piano lessons? Was it something optional "would you like to take lessons?" or more like "hey, guess what? you're taking piano lessons!"

Just curious.

JB
Posted By: kimck Re: piano keyboard? - 12/22/09 02:14 AM
My DS started asking to take piano when he was late 4/early 5. He had a little friend that started about that time and we had inherited a piano that was standing in our living room looking very lonely. Also, it was about that time when he really was driving us crazy with the constant need for information and stimulation. We knew nothing about his GTness at the time, but it sure makes sense now. Anyway, we signed him up for Suzuki lessons the year before kindergarten with the thought that it would give him something to think about.

And that it did! DS goes in cycles of speed learning/slower learning and love it/it's ok . But he's never wanted to quit and he loves to play and perform. Now that we're homeschooling, I consider it a core requirement for him. It can cover history, art, performance, music, learning to work with a mentor, incremental learning.

DD5 starting asking to take music lessons at 4 and went between wanting violin and piano. We put her on the waiting list for both and got a call for violin first. And actually it's probably best she doesn't take piano like her brother. She is very intimidated following in his footsteps.

I will say, my kids don't like to practice everyday. But both their teachers will be the first to tell them they don't like to practice every day either. If I really thought they hated it to their core, we wouldn't do it long term. Both of them love music and get a real sense of accomplishment from mastery. It's been a great way to teach long term work ethic to a GT child. But there are also many other ways to teach these lessons that might work better for some families.

One thing I was going to add - I definitely put the bug in my kids' ears about music lessons very early. We did kindermusik kind of classes and I used to tell them when they got too old for these classes they could maybe take REAL music lessons! So maybe there was some brain washing involved in there somewhere. wink The early childhood music classes we did were a great predecessor to music lessons - musically and for creating enthusiasm.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: piano keyboard? - 12/22/09 02:35 AM
you have given your kids such a wonderful gift to .ove music. I hope to do something with my kids in the near future. My son loves to sing and has a beautiful voice. My daughter loves to dance.
Posted By: Kriston Re: piano keyboard? - 12/22/09 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by JBDad
Kriston (and others) how did you approach piano lessons? Was it something optional "would you like to take lessons?" or more like "hey, guess what? you're taking piano lessons!"

Just curious.

JB

We sort of fell into it, but they both like it, so we stick with it.

DS8 needed music of some sort for homeschooling. I could manage it, badly, but I'm not my first choice for a music teacher.

DS8 was interested in learning to play the guitar, but he had no background whatsoever in music. Several guitarists I know recommended starting with piano so he could get the basics of reading music and music theory and because at 6 or 7, he was really too young for a full-sized guitar. We had the keyboard, so it made sense to start there, at least for a year. He liked it and made quick progress.

After DS8 had taken lessons for 6 months or a year, DS5 had become really interested in taking lessons, so we added a beginner class for him, too. Actually, DS5 is the kid who plays without being nagged. He stops by the keyboard probably 5 or 6 times a day without my saying a word. (I have to remind DS8 to practice, though full-on nagging has not really been necessary.) Sometimes DS5 stops by the keyboard just to mess around with the sound effects--something our piano teacher has encouraged, actually--but DS5 has also taught himself a couple of his brother's harder songs and has figured out harmonies and chords for songs he knows without being taught. Since he is really only supposed to be playing one hand at a time yet, I think that's pretty great!

DS5's playing around has taken him way beyond where the lessons are, and that's a little weird. But the two stages of development--what he does on his own and what he does in his lessons--seem to coexist, and the teacher is thrilled with how he's doing. I get the feeling that not many kids like to play and actually practice. LOL! She has asked me to let him mess around. Fun is good, she says, even if it involves "Ode to Joy" in sound effects.

So the short(er) answer to your question, I guess, is that it was a less-than-gentle suggestion for one child, but with his buy-in, and was his own idea for the other. I have threatened to take away lessons if DS8 doesn't practice, though, and he always gets upset and protests that he does want to play. So I feel pretty sure that both kids like to play.

I've always wanted to play piano and never have, but now DS8 wants to give ME lessons. I think that might be a good experience for us both, so I'm taking him up on it. smile We're starting over the holiday break!
Posted By: Mom0405 Re: piano keyboard? - 12/22/09 02:51 AM
Thank you for all the responses! I got a Casio Px-130 today. They price matched an internet price at my local store. More still than I wanted to spend; but I have been looking on Craigslist for a while to no avail. The sound is amazing; and so is the touch. 88-key hammer weighted action. Feels great. My DH was shocked at the sound and the feel when I got it home. I can't wait for my Mom to try it out since she plays. I would prefer a piano; but am going to wait to see if DS hangs in there with it. Besides I need to move it around some before I figure out where it will stay as a test - small home.

DS looks forward to going now; but he is really just starting. We'll see how practice goes. Any tips on that? Length of practice, etc.? again, DS is 4.5.

@JBDad - A friend's daughter (DS's friend too) started just before he did; and I told him. Then I asked if he wanted to go. After my asking MANY times looking for the same response 'yes' from him, which I got, I went to her same piano teacher. His teacher gives lessons from "My First Piano Adventure for the Young Beginner." It has two books actually and comes with a music cd which he loves to listen to in the car. He does exercises to the cd for his lessons. I am have been shocked and pleased with his interest and focus (so far). He is the silliest kid, and likes to push buttons; so I didn't know how he'd be with his piano teacher.
He takes swimming right after it. He blows off steam there and has fun - I have to make him do this though (for safety reasons). He says he doesn't want to go to swim lessons the whole day leading up to the lesson; but ends up loving it.
Posted By: Kriston Re: piano keyboard? - 12/22/09 04:38 AM
I ask that both kids practice every day for 5 minutes a day. Little bits often is supposed to be much better than a bunch once a week. It gets them in the habit of daily practice, but it's so little time that it's painless. And 5 minutes often turns into more.

Letting him perform for you (or other friends and/or relatives) or teach you something are both helpful. Most people who like you will sit through a song or two in the interest of encouraging a child to play. smile

FWIW...
Posted By: Wei-I Re: piano keyboard? - 12/22/09 04:43 AM
My kids at 4.0 and 3.75 years old started playing at about 15 minutes a day. It was tough to get my son to sit still initially. We would let him take run-around-the-house breaks. My daughter didn't have and still doesn't have a problem. Now at 5.75 and 4.2, they play about 30-40 minutes and 20-30 minutes, respectively. It's a bit of a struggle to get my DS5 to play that long, but the teacher advised to break it up into 2 shorter sessions. One issue is that the better the kids play, the more the piano teacher wants them to practice. The good news is that both kids will go to the piano on their own and improvise and mess around. And with more lessons, the better the improvisation sounds.
Posted By: Raddy Re: piano keyboard? - 12/22/09 10:33 AM
Bought little'un this one a while ago - Yamaha YDP213 - and his piano teacher was so impressed she has this on her list (when she has the funds)
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YDP213...nstruments&qid=1261477865&sr=1-5
Posted By: kimck Re: piano keyboard? - 12/22/09 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Wei-I
One issue is that the better the kids play, the more the piano teacher wants them to practice. The good news is that both kids will go to the piano on their own and improvise and mess around. And with more lessons, the better the improvisation sounds.

That is so true! DS9 over here practices 45-60 minutes a day. If someone would have told me a couple years ago he'd be doing this willingly, I would have laughed. He sits down all the time and improvises, reads music, figures out sound by ear. He also took a theory class this fall which was great. Very challenging. It involved things like inventing left hands to go to right hands in different patterns. And transposing short tunes to different keys.

DD5 usually practices violin around 20 minutes a day.

I started really small 5-10 minutes a day. DS at 5 ramped up pretty fast. DD starting at 4 on violin was a little slower. Now that I've started a kid on piano and violin, violin seems MUCH slower and harder initially. So many different things to think about to even get a half way decent sound out of a little violin. crazy She can play a bunch of folk songs and jingle bells, so she's very happy with that. I'm a little sick of it though!
Posted By: crisc Re: piano keyboard? - 12/22/09 05:34 PM
I wish DS7 still took piano lessons. He was a natural but just hated practicing, especially as the songs got harder. We ended up buying a used upright piano (only $300 from a coworker) because he hated practicing on the keyboard. I still hope that one day he will ask for lessons again or one of his younger siblings (now 3 and 5) will want to play.
Posted By: Wei-I Re: piano keyboard? - 12/24/09 07:11 PM
We used the Faber series and I liked them. Then we switched teachers and now spend a lot of time Bayer - which is the classical, traditional piano instruction book. If you want to learn technique, Bayer is better. Faber has nice songs, but their technique was weak. Bayer is all technique, so you'll need something else too (like Faber).
Posted By: Mom0405 Re: piano keyboard? - 12/25/09 10:14 PM
@kcab: yes, the Faber series. He is in the first one. The "Lesson/writing books A". His teacher is very technique oriented though. She is anal like me, which I appreciate. That's why I was concerned with getting a good instrument to begin with, as to not develop any bad habits. The weighted keys are exactly like a piano's.

My Mom came by to look at my keyboard. She said that it sounds great - better than the one they have at church. It does not have any funny sounds (DS wouldn't take it seriously - and it wasn't an option anyway, well, as far as I know - I haven't read the manual). I still have to get a bench for it.

Thanks for all the practice advice. 5-10 minute practice sessions/day sounds do-able.
Posted By: Lucijane Re: piano keyboard? - 01/10/10 01:53 AM
The Frances Clark Music Tree series teaches comprehensive musicianship. DD8 can transpose pieces at sight because she learned to read by intervals smile

Beginning levels can practice up to an hour a day. To progress in intermediate levels, you should practice at least an hour a day (breaking it up into smaller sessions is fine.)
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum