Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 417 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #64533 12/20/09 07:20 PM
    M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    This may be a silly question; but I was just thinking what to purchase for my DS4.5 who just started piano lessons a few weeks ago, and seems to love it. We do not have a piano yet; but I was going to get a pretty decent keyboard. Then I started (over)thinking, would there be a practicing mentality issue on a keyboard other than a piano? Meaning have any of your younger (4-6yr olds) kids seemed to prefer practicing on a piano to a keyboard or visa versa at home. [I was going to get a Casio PX-130 or a Yamaha P85 keyboard if I didn't get a piano.] I personally would like lessons someday; so having a piano wouldn't be a big deal. Also, do kids lug around their keyboards when they get older to practice? Thanks! -Michelle

Mom0405 #64535 12/20/09 07:42 PM
    Both my kids use out keyboard a lot. They only play a piano at lessons, and I can't say they are troubled by the difference at all.

I recommend getting one that has sound effects. My kids use the keyboard a lot more because they can play "Ode to Joy" with barking dogs or guttural grunts or gunshots. Ah, the joys of having boys... smile

It's nice that the keyboard is portable so that we can take it on vacation and such. They love getting to "perform" for Grandma!

The one drawback to our keyboard is that it doesn't have pedals, so there's no practicing anything requiring those. But it's a trade I'd make again, especially for the price. Keyboards are a lot cheaper than pianos.

Kriston
    Kriston #64539 12/20/09 07:56 PM
    M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks, Kriston! The keyboards I mentioned both have a pedal (to purchase). LOL about the sound effects. DS has a toy cat "piano" (since age 2). He loves to hear it mew songs - ha!:) These days you can get a piano for practically nothing though, as long as you get it out of the person's home. I wouldn't buy a pinao new. I didn't thik about taking it on trips though.

More thoughts are welcome. He doesn't have lessons again for 2 weeks; but he is supposed to be practicing now. So I need to get something this week.

Mom0405 #64540 12/20/09 08:01 PM
    M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks, Dottie. I'm not sure what his instructor will think after a year, if DS sticks with it. She suggested a keyboard, since I said I wasn't sure about buying the piano yet. I figure that if we have both, he can take the keyboard with him to different places; or we will be able to sell it, if it's a decent one.

Mom0405 #64542 12/20/09 09:22 PM
    You may want to look into digital pianos which are still cheaper than pianos. If you go with a digital piano find one with graded hammer standard keyboard which mimics a real piano as much as possible.

A regular keyboard can get you only that far. The keys react differently and there is a big difference between playing a real piano and a regular keyboard.

LMom
    LMom #64543 12/20/09 09:27 PM
    J
    J
    digital keyboard piano that is touch sensitive is nice, good enough to about grade 6-7 piano lessons...

LMom #64545 12/20/09 09:40 PM
    K
    K
    My DS takes piano and has for about 3 1/2 years. We've always had a piano (I inherited an antique upright). He has to practice on a keyboard at his grandparent's house sometimes and it's definitely a very different experience and practice than he gets on the "real" piano. But I don't know if it would have made that big of difference the first year or even 2 (he started at 5). His teacher is working on things like finger strike on really long, fast runs. Our teacher required a regular piano on day one (piano snob!). DS does love to play around with the keyboard when he gets the chance though! I actually do wish we had one for travel, if nothing else.

I think the suggestion to keep your eyes peeled for a used piano is a really good one if you'd like to have one in your home eventually. I have several friends that had to give pianos away to get them out of their homes.

kimck #64548 12/20/09 11:41 PM
    F
    F
    I got a piano for ds7 3 years ago. I started lessons myself when I was 5 1/2 with a piano for many years. Then I had a keyboard for a long time since I was moving around. I did not like how keyboard feels. The sounds were different. The keys were not weighted (?). There is not enough octaves on my keyboard to move around. When I started ds on piano, I decided it was time to buy a real one.

I did not want to buy a brand new one. They were very expensive in a piano store. I just wanted a name brand 2nd hand. Craig's list was where I found mine. I have seen almost brand new pianos for very good prices. I have also seen people trying to get rid of their piano and wants you to haul it away. Watch out for old pianos, especially the free ones, because their pins in the piano cannot be tuned or they will break. I wouldn't get the old and free ones.

Cindi
    fangcyn #64551 12/21/09 03:07 AM
    T
    T
    Our family is getting a digital keyboard for Christmas. I think what finally sold us on the keyboard over a real piano was that you can use headphones to practice without disturbing the rest of the house.

The one we chose does come with 88 weighted keys, pedals, wood console, etc. (http://sellout.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=10552) The whole thing weighs over 100 lbs., and even though I'm not sure how much of that is console vs. keyboard, I'm not counting on it being very portable.

Trillium #64553 12/21/09 04:55 AM
    LMom is spot on. I'm a music teacher (this year :D) and a digital piano with graded hammer keys is a great solution. They're cheap and RELATIVELY portable (ie, two regular people can easily pick one up) compared to a real piano, but they feel like a real piano when you play and they sound great. I bought a Yamaha Arius for my school and love it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM