Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Wei-I #64615 12/22/09 06:23 AM
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Wei-I
    One issue is that the better the kids play, the more the piano teacher wants them to practice. The good news is that both kids will go to the piano on their own and improvise and mess around. And with more lessons, the better the improvisation sounds.

That is so true! DS9 over here practices 45-60 minutes a day. If someone would have told me a couple years ago he'd be doing this willingly, I would have laughed. He sits down all the time and improvises, reads music, figures out sound by ear. He also took a theory class this fall which was great. Very challenging. It involved things like inventing left hands to go to right hands in different patterns. And transposing short tunes to different keys.

DD5 usually practices violin around 20 minutes a day.

I started really small 5-10 minutes a day. DS at 5 ramped up pretty fast. DD starting at 4 on violin was a little slower. Now that I've started a kid on piano and violin, violin seems MUCH slower and harder initially. So many different things to think about to even get a half way decent sound out of a little violin. crazy She can play a bunch of folk songs and jingle bells, so she's very happy with that. I'm a little sick of it though!

#64638 12/22/09 10:34 AM
    I wish DS7 still took piano lessons. He was a natural but just hated practicing, especially as the songs got harder. We ended up buying a used upright piano (only $300 from a coworker) because he hated practicing on the keyboard. I still hope that one day he will ask for lessons again or one of his younger siblings (now 3 and 5) will want to play.

Crisc
    crisc #64729 12/24/09 12:11 PM
    W
    W
    We used the Faber series and I liked them. Then we switched teachers and now spend a lot of time Bayer - which is the classical, traditional piano instruction book. If you want to learn technique, Bayer is better. Faber has nice songs, but their technique was weak. Bayer is all technique, so you'll need something else too (like Faber).

Wei-I #64738 12/25/09 03:14 PM
    M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    @kcab: yes, the Faber series. He is in the first one. The "Lesson/writing books A". His teacher is very technique oriented though. She is anal like me, which I appreciate. That's why I was concerned with getting a good instrument to begin with, as to not develop any bad habits. The weighted keys are exactly like a piano's.

My Mom came by to look at my keyboard. She said that it sounds great - better than the one they have at church. It does not have any funny sounds (DS wouldn't take it seriously - and it wasn't an option anyway, well, as far as I know - I haven't read the manual). I still have to get a bench for it.

Thanks for all the practice advice. 5-10 minute practice sessions/day sounds do-able.

Trillium #65540 01/09/10 06:53 PM
    L
    L
    The Frances Clark Music Tree series teaches comprehensive musicianship. DD8 can transpose pieces at sight because she learned to read by intervals smile

Beginning levels can practice up to an hour a day. To progress in intermediate levels, you should practice at least an hour a day (breaking it up into smaller sessions is fine.)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM