Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
This will be a fun thread. don't forget to write your child's age.

My DD9 wants to be an inventor. I think he has the mind for it. Sometimes I go to him if I can't figure out how something works and he can do it. He also like to build legos and invent things from cardboard and scraps.

Before that he wanted to be an world explorer with his sister.
Whenever DD6 would get mad at him, she would say if you don't start being nice I'm not going to be a world explorer anymore.

My DDs idea (back in preschool)was when she would build a fense around the trees with the Koala to protect them from being endangered. She's a sweetie.
DS5 has wanted to be a marine biologist since was 3. He told me yesterday that "he's considering Paleontology" - it's funny to see the look on people's faces when a 3 year old says he wants to be a Marine Biologist - it's priceless. smile
DS6 wanted to be an inventor first, he has several ideas, one I love is an inflateable cutting board. After he is done doing that he wants to start a resturant called Burger World.
When DS6 was younger he wanted to be an astronaut. One day he decided he wanted to be a scientist. I asked "What about going to space?" He laughed and said "I'm still going to space mom, just not doing the driving." LOL.
DD is 2.7 and she wants to be an "orthopedic surgeon" My DH is in charge of a large group of multi-site multi-specialty medical groups for a hospital.... and she overheard DH discussing the orthopedic surgeons and asked what they did....he explained and suddenly one day she annouced this is what she wants to be and she now "performs surgery" on our knees constantly LOL.

It is priceless to see people's faces including my MIL when DD tells them that she is going to be "an orthopedic surgeon" She is also dressing up as one for Halloween LOL
DS5 wants to be a detective or a rock star. Last year he wanted to be a dentist.
Ds9 wants to be a mix of dancer, illustrator, scientist, real estate agent and video game developer. Oh, and I almost forgot robotics engineer, toy maker and inventor! Whew.

Dd3 is much more realistic, she wants to be a ballerina doctor who drives a very large RED truck. And her stethoscope will be red, too.
When dd was 2, she wanted to be a duck. A few months ago (a few months over 3), she wanted to be a doctor. Lately (almost 3.5), she wants to be a "mama" like me! LOL!
DS6 wants to be a Tornado Chaser during the tornado season and then in the off season he wants to work as a demolition engineer and save the Manatees :-)
Originally Posted by MamaJA
When dd was 2, she wanted to be a duck.

LOL! I remember when DD was 4 (yes, 4) we were listening to "when you wish upon a star" and she said, "I don't want to be a fish when I grow up" I laughed and asked her what she *did* want to be. With great delight she exclaimed..."A pony!"

I've always been amazed by the fancifulness of her personality contrasted with her advanced development in so many other areas..... laugh BTW, she no longer wants to be a pony--at 10 she either wants to work with little kids (she is the pied piper of the pre-school set); open a pottery store with her friend; or train dolphins and whales.

DS 7 spent years wanting to be various rescue jobs--but then he hit a more cautious period of life. Now he wants to figure out what he's interested in and "get a job there, because then you can get all the free stuff you're interested in". He then added that, "The Home Depot guys must be in luxury--they can have washers and tractors and all the building stuff".
Fun thread! DD7 wants to be a teacher, a scientist and an author...research professor maybe? DD5 is easy...a farmer.
DS6 wants to be a construction worker (only to drive the diggers), a race car driver (a hobby of his dad's), and an inventor (probably his true passion).

DD3 says "I want to be myself" - something we should all strive for. grin
These are so fun! DS5 wants to be a scientist (he drew a picture at school of himself surrounded with test tubes). He also wants to be a Lego Master.
DS7 wants to be prime minister or a mad scientist (gene experimentations).

DS5 wants to be a mad scientist or a bouncy castle tester.
I am laughing so hard, love this thread.

DD5 has always loved animals dearly (her favorite is dogs) so for the longest time she wanted to be a dog, now she wants to be a veterinarian.

DD6 for the longest time wanted to be optometrist, she said she wanted to be able to fix my eyes so that I wouldn't need to wear my glasses or contacts anymore, then she wanted to be a doctor so that she could go to Africa and help the children that needed medical care. Most recently she wants to be a veterinarian to help the sick dogs and cats and is now trying to talk her younger sister into opening an animal hospital together. lol

What fun!

Harpo (8) wants to be an archaeologist (which seems good to me, since he spends large chunks of his day digging really big holes in the dirt), or else a linguistics professor, or else somebody who gets to read all day and get paid for it (funny, this last was my childhood dream, too...)

Groucho (6) wants very much (very, very much) to run his own theatre company, which strikes me as apt, since he is a great tinkerer, and can put together great costumes, sets and props for his Andy Hardyesque shows-in-the-barn out of the contents of the ragbag and the blue box.

Chico (4) says he wants to be an aerospace engineer. He has already picked his university and his subspecialty, and every time he finds a penny on the sidewalk, he scoops it up and says he's saving it for his university money.

peace
minnie
Tigger (6.11) was always going to be a pilot then an astronaut but after his last trip to hospital he informed the doctor who asked this very question that he was going to be a doctor and invent a cure for all allergies so children can eat anything without getting sick - oh and maybe it would work for him too. That was a heart tugger... personally I would like to see that day come before he became a grown up. frown
Dd newly 15 wants to be a medical doctor or Navy SEAL (we know). West Point and Annapolis are among her top college picks.
Ds newly 13 wants to be an engineer and/or inventor.
DS 21 - A college level cross country coach or a sports journalist
DS 18 - Lawyer
DS 8 - Either a professional fisherman or a veterinarian. Third choice is medical researcher who discovers the secret to reverse aging. Me, I am hoping for the last...and then he can go fish!
DD 7 - a veterinarian, a teacher and a babysitter!

Fun Thread!
For a long time DS7 and DS5 were going to be boat captains together, then they were going to be train engineers together, lol. Now:

DS7- architect or chemical engineer

DS5- paleontologist

DD3- mostly says she wants to be a mommy, though after we visited the Museum of Natural History in D.C. last week, she says she wants to be a paleontologist like DS5.
DS3 - robot*

*wants to be THE robot, not an engineer . . .
Such cute responses!!

ds21 wanted to be a "monster truck driver" when he was 3. He's now in the Navy Nuclear Power Program.

ds19 wanted to be a "trash truck man" when he was 5. He's going into the Army.

dd7 wants to be the President. We shall see........
Last I heard, DS4 was torn between archaeologist and pool cleaner! I can't imagine where the latter came from--we don't even have a pool.
DS 6 wants to be a video game designer. Same thing he's said for years. He certainly puts in enough "research" time!
DS7 wants to be a librarian, video game designer, comedian, scientist, and surgeon if they do away with the hypocratic oath (he's a little afraid of commiting to never doing harm)
DS6-an actor on a Scooby Doo movie. ; ) I'm so proud!

He wanted to be a baker for the longest time (about 3 years), but recently he's getting really into the arts. At one point, he created a business plan complete with name of his bakery, cookie recipes modeled after ice cream flavors, a menu, a logo, a catchy tune for the commercial, a grand opening plan, and back up plans for when he's too sick to work. Oh, and his bakery is going to have a place where kids can play.
Wolf (5.2) wants to be an astronaut (news to me).

Bear (2.8) said something like "I don't know what to try yet" and then echoed his brother! lol

I wanted to be president, a marine biologist, a veterinarian and an artist. I succeeded with the last!
DS7 has wanted to be a paleontogist since he became aware that such a pursuit existed (around the age of 2). His goal is to clone a dinosaur; specifically, an iguanodon. Sometimes when we're driving, he scopes out potential iguanodon habitats along the road. He's also planning the remodel of our back yard to accommodate his dinosaur.

He said he wanted to be a fireman once, while we were driving. I thought, "Wow! Something other than a paleontologist! Then he said, "And I'll take all my model dinosaurs with me and they can wear tiny little fire hats."

DS9 goes between marine biologist, chef, and random-other scientist.

DD5 wants to be in charge. I have no doubt that this will happen.

Val
When my DD was 2 she wanted to be a "Grandma Doctor" (not sure if she wanted to go in geriatrics or be a grandma and a doctor) :-)

Now that she is 4.9, more focused and further along on her educational path (lol), she has decided that she wants to be a Doctor. (I guess Grandma did not pay enough to support her future family) lol
Thanks for starting this thread onthegomom. Reading all the answers has been delightful.

DS8 has changed his mind as many times as he has changed his shoes. Inventor, Astro physicist, a pet store owner, a Scientist, a Chemist. He is still on inventor at the moment.

DS7 wanted to be a vet for a while, but didn't like the idea of having to put an animal to sleep. So now, he wants to be a dog trainer. He loves animals.

It will be interesting to see what they finally choose to go into.

My kiddo (4) wants to fly a fighter jet and is pretty much stuck on this one. He once (6-7 months back) expressed the desire to be an astronout but since then decided against it.
DS(7) would like to be an archeologist or other branch of anthropology. When he was younger he had always wanted to be a builder or engineer, so this is a change.

My other DS(7) would like to be an inventor, zoo keeper, and an archeologist. This son has also recently changed his ambitions. He had wanted to become a doctor and find the cure for some cancers and invent other cures.

I'll have to ask again b/c both DC change all the time.

I know that DD4 wants to be a mom and teacher still.

DS5.5 is suddenly into sports, so I wouldn't be surprised with a sports related answer.
My 11 year old son wants to be a neuropsychologist, lawyer, video game designer, and in his spare time he wants to create parodies.
DS (6) wants to be a baker, a scientist, an astronaut, a soccer player, an inventor and an insurance company owner (so he'll never have to pay for insurance).

A lot of these kids will have some narrowing-down to do... (:
DS (5) wanted to be an entomologist for two years, then he added "wood carver" last year... and maybe a truck driver.

He's recently become frustrated that there aren't certain inventions (like a shot that won't hurt), so he's now thinking how wonderful it would be to be an inventor of useful items. I told him that children would praise him if he invented a way to administer shots that didn't hurt. He said, "Well, I don't think that's a good reason to invent something." (for praise) "Yes, DS, you are correct."

Ah...now THAT depends upon the day. Today it's a zoologist. Some days an inventor. And very often a hairsylist and when she was three...she simply wanted to work at Target! LOL. What we'll end up with...who knows!
My cj age 8.6 wants to be the first archealogist on mars as well as zoologist in space. Always aim high. I remember when Pluto lost its planet status. he was so distraught, "It's my favorite" he wailed.
Wolf (5) has now decided that he wants to be a robotics engineer to make droids and light sabers.
GD (5) wants to be a zoologist but says she only wants to take care of the herbivores, not the carnivores (her words).

At 4, she insisted she was going to be a dinosaur when she grew up!
My 6 year old has always loved robots and science, I explained to him that there was such a thing as a scientist of robotics, he has wanted to be one since.

My 10 year old spends hours making movies, doing stop motion animation and writing scripts, he wants to be a movie director or an animator.
My DD8 wants to be a splatter artist because, she says, she "loves art and she loves flingling paint!" Seems fun to me, too!

In the past, she has wanted to be a scientist and a mommy. Broad interests, she!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum