Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #99194 04/10/11 04:07 PM
    D
    Dana29 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    My daughter recieved a full scale score of 147 on the WISC IV but I can't tell if they used the extended scoring bc she maxed out in some of the categories. Does anyone have an interpretation of these results?
    Thanks!

Verbal comprehension 148
    similarities 17
    Vocabulary 19
    Comprehension 18
    Information 17
    Working Memory 141
    Digit Span 16
    Letter-num seq 18

Perceptual reasoning 133
    block design 10 (he said she finished it one second too late smile
    picture concepts 19
    matric reasoning 17
    picture completion 13
    Processing speed 126
    coding 13
    symbol search 16

D
    Dana29 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    No, I had to fight to just get the school to do the wisc iv. (block design) The write up says that she did complete one more of the formations but slightly after the allotted time limit. What achievement testing would you recommend?

Welcome Dana,
    you didn't ask, but, how are things going at school? Any big decisions coming up? Was the school impressed with the scores? (I am, but it's amazing how difference schools can be about it.)

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    Dana29 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks so much everyone! I actually am having the tester rescore her since it may be the difference between 147 and 150.
    School is a big issue right now. Even though we have the test results and numerous conferences they still won't really give her harder work. They push reading a lot (she's a girl of course) but that is not really challenging her at all. My husband also grew up a gifted child, someone actually wrote their doctorate dissertation based on him as the subject for a gifted child in public education when he was in 7th grade, and he got into trouble all the time.
    I really don't think they know what to do with her at this point. The thing about her is that you wouldn't know she was a exceptionally gifted child until you sit and talk because she is totally normal and very social and popular. She is really pretty as well which all work against people taking her seriously as a gifted child, and everyone is super concerned about her socialization, even though thats just the accepted concern that is cited for not skipping. I would like her to at least be able to go to 3 or 4th grade for math and reading but even with the scores and her ridiculously high MAPS tests (which the school administers) everyone seems to want her to just enjoy being the "smart kid" in class, which is actually incredibly tedious to her. I have been in touch with the gifted coordinator for my state since she was 3 (and learned to read on her own) bc we knew since she was about 7 months old that she was different. I am not interested in pushing her to become some great scientist or something, I just want to see her actually feel challenged! Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Dana29
    everyone seems to want her to just enjoy being the "smart kid" in class, which is actually incredibly tedious to her. I have been in touch with the gifted coordinator for my state since she was 3 (and learned to read on her own) bc we knew since she was about 7 months old that she was different. I am not interested in pushing her to become some great scientist or something, I just want to see her actually feel challenged! Thanks again!
    Keep plugging along and keep reading here - we've got great lines all worked out like:

"Why should all the other children learn good work ethic at this school except mine? That isn't fair!"

"Self Esteem doesn't come from doing 1000 easy tasks, I come from success after struggle with a task that looks daunting at the onset. Think back to your first chance to overcome a daunting task. Remember how you felt? I want that for my child?"

"Too many unchallenged gifted kids equate effortless with smart, and then later in their lives they finally met a challenge that isn't effortless and get totally demoralized and feel that they are no longer smart. I don't want that happening to MY child."

and, last but not least:
    "I'm the parent, and I'll sign a waiver not to hold the school responsible for any bad effects from subject acceleration. As parent, I'm socialization is my domain. As a school, academic education is your domain. I'm doing my area - how about you do yours?"

Does your state have any regulations saying that schools have to teach children at their readiness level?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM