Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Dana29 WISC IV subtests question - 04/10/11 11:07 PM
My daughter recieved a full scale score of 147 on the WISC IV but I can't tell if they used the extended scoring bc she maxed out in some of the categories. Does anyone have an interpretation of these results?
Thanks!

Verbal comprehension 148
similarities 17
Vocabulary 19
Comprehension 18
Information 17
Working Memory 141
Digit Span 16
Letter-num seq 18

Perceptual reasoning 133
block design 10 (he said she finished it one second too late smile
picture concepts 19
matric reasoning 17
picture completion 13
Processing speed 126
coding 13
symbol search 16
Posted By: Dana29 Re: WISC IV subtests question - 04/11/11 12:38 AM
No, I had to fight to just get the school to do the wisc iv. (block design) The write up says that she did complete one more of the formations but slightly after the allotted time limit. What achievement testing would you recommend?
Posted By: Grinity Re: WISC IV subtests question - 04/11/11 03:03 PM
Welcome Dana,
you didn't ask, but, how are things going at school? Any big decisions coming up? Was the school impressed with the scores? (I am, but it's amazing how difference schools can be about it.)

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Dana29 Re: WISC IV subtests question - 04/12/11 09:17 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I actually am having the tester rescore her since it may be the difference between 147 and 150.
School is a big issue right now. Even though we have the test results and numerous conferences they still won't really give her harder work. They push reading a lot (she's a girl of course) but that is not really challenging her at all. My husband also grew up a gifted child, someone actually wrote their doctorate dissertation based on him as the subject for a gifted child in public education when he was in 7th grade, and he got into trouble all the time.
I really don't think they know what to do with her at this point. The thing about her is that you wouldn't know she was a exceptionally gifted child until you sit and talk because she is totally normal and very social and popular. She is really pretty as well which all work against people taking her seriously as a gifted child, and everyone is super concerned about her socialization, even though thats just the accepted concern that is cited for not skipping. I would like her to at least be able to go to 3 or 4th grade for math and reading but even with the scores and her ridiculously high MAPS tests (which the school administers) everyone seems to want her to just enjoy being the "smart kid" in class, which is actually incredibly tedious to her. I have been in touch with the gifted coordinator for my state since she was 3 (and learned to read on her own) bc we knew since she was about 7 months old that she was different. I am not interested in pushing her to become some great scientist or something, I just want to see her actually feel challenged! Thanks again!
Posted By: Grinity Re: WISC IV subtests question - 04/12/11 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Dana29
everyone seems to want her to just enjoy being the "smart kid" in class, which is actually incredibly tedious to her. I have been in touch with the gifted coordinator for my state since she was 3 (and learned to read on her own) bc we knew since she was about 7 months old that she was different. I am not interested in pushing her to become some great scientist or something, I just want to see her actually feel challenged! Thanks again!
Keep plugging along and keep reading here - we've got great lines all worked out like:

"Why should all the other children learn good work ethic at this school except mine? That isn't fair!"

"Self Esteem doesn't come from doing 1000 easy tasks, I come from success after struggle with a task that looks daunting at the onset. Think back to your first chance to overcome a daunting task. Remember how you felt? I want that for my child?"

"Too many unchallenged gifted kids equate effortless with smart, and then later in their lives they finally met a challenge that isn't effortless and get totally demoralized and feel that they are no longer smart. I don't want that happening to MY child."

and, last but not least:
"I'm the parent, and I'll sign a waiver not to hold the school responsible for any bad effects from subject acceleration. As parent, I'm socialization is my domain. As a school, academic education is your domain. I'm doing my area - how about you do yours?"

Does your state have any regulations saying that schools have to teach children at their readiness level?

Love and More Love,
Grinity
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum