Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 145 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by Val
    Invoking Godwin's law never helps. shocked Though a corollary to that law says that I've won the debate because of your accusation. smile
    Val - Thanks so much for standing up and crying foul of folks twisting and inflaming. I'm not sure there is room on this Forum for these sorts of discussions, but I am sure that there isn't room for imflaming people's comments.

I enjoyed looking up Godwin's Law. But I do have to say that as much as I love, and owe to IQ tests, their history is wrapped up in American Eugenics Movement and very ugly. I don't believe in throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

I like this book War Against the Weak: Eugenics and America's Campaign to Create a Master Race. New York: Basic Books, 2003.
    for more details, although I can't say I got more than half way through it. Life is complicated.

Maybe we should start "Greatest Contentious Topics Thread" and all the folks who want to whine and flame can post there?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    D
    So... in our over-populated world, what should the target population be... and who gets to decide that figure? And who gets to enforce that figure? And as long as we are mandating a reduction, how is it any more or less evil to dictate which segments of the population need greater reductions?

Since I'm not a fan of gov't control over much of anything -- let alone population control -- I think we've got to have a little more faith in the individual. And if some populations haven't figured out that the dozen-kids-per-household isn't the best strategy, well, I suppose they'll figure it out at some point.

On the other hand, while (and because) I'm not going to bounce around the globe extolling the virtues of my own personal vision of nirvana vis-a-vis population control, I see nothing wrong with sharing with some choice local friends and relatives the idea that a few more comparatively smarter babies in this world isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Is it just me, or am I the only one that has considered that the world doesn't exactly seem to know what to do with the "smart" people that it currently has? Maybe having more of them (relatively speaking) isn't going to help very much if they're still being NCLB-ed to death in schools anyway...

crazy

<mumbling> It might just be me. Nevermind then...

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by inky
    I thought Caplan made a good point about second hand stress but disagree with his recommendation for parents to turn to electronic babysitters like television and video games. The negative effects of too much T.V. and video games are well documented and most children already far exceed the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines.

T.V. adds more stress to our lives since advertisers spend billions of dollars targeting kids to nag their parents to buy them stuff. Plus an NIH study showed television viewing was negatively related to creative play, especially among children younger than 5. frown

Indeed.

So we should have more smart kids...

and then...

uh...

dumb them into submission with electronic mind control?? JK. But it did strike me as kind of funny. whistle

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I am sure that there isn't room for imflaming people's comments.

[...]

Maybe we should start "Greatest Contentious Topics Thread" and all the folks who want to whine and flame can post there?

If what I wrote seemed inflammatory or whiny, I apologize. That was not my intention. I've had this discussion with good friends, who I love and respect, and who disagree with me completely. Nonetheless, my opinion is my opinion.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Originally Posted by kathleen'smum
    One might think it would be the smart people who realize that putting more time and resources into a smaller number of children would guarantee better reproductive 'success'.

That is what I wonder, as well. Most of the small-family parents that we know chose to do things that way because they calculated the costs of college, private school tuition, etc. etc. and found that it just didn't make sense to spread those resources more thinly among more siblings.

If you accept the Bell Curve argument that intelligence is largely inherited and that smart kids will usually do well unless the environment is awful, it is less necessary to shell out money for private schools and universities. Going to the local public school and the state university will not ruin your child's chance of success.

I have three kids and am sending them to neighborhood public schools, even though I could afford private ones, because I don't think it would make a big difference to their futures.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Indeed.

So we should have more smart kids...

and then...

uh...

dumb them into submission with electronic mind control?? JK. But it did strike me as kind of funny. whistle

Caplan is saying that a moderate amount of TV watching, which does give a parent time to rest, will not permanently impair a child's intellect. I think that is true.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    My earlier statement that "it is especially important for smart people to have lots of children" can be fairly labeled as a eugenic argument, and I do not think eugenic measures are always bad. Prohibition of cousin marriage in many states of the U.S. is an example of an uncontroversial eugenic measure, at least here. In some countries cousin marriage is common and leads to reduced IQ and other birth defects.

In general, people act to maximize the chance of positive outcomes. Positive outcomes such as being self-supporting and staying out jail are more likely when the average IQ of the parents is 130 than 70. The same argument could be made for any heritable trait. I think it's reasonable to say that beautiful people should have more children, because they are more likely to have beautiful children. (I am aware that beauty is subjective, but I bet that if a 100 children of movie stars were compared with 100 children from the general public, the former group would be rated better-looking.)

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    So... in our over-populated world, what should the target population be... and who gets to decide that figure? And who gets to enforce that figure? And as long as we are mandating a reduction, how is it any more or less evil to dictate which segments of the population need greater reductions?

Since I'm not a fan of gov't control over much of anything -- let alone population control -- I think we've got to have a little more faith in the individual. And if some populations haven't figured out that the dozen-kids-per-household isn't the best strategy, well, I suppose they'll figure it out at some point.

It's a good reproductive strategy for them if someone else is paying the bills.

I support a minimal state where only a small fraction of the earnings of the most productive and intelligent people are taxed away to support the children of others. Then the more intelligent will have more money to spend on their own children -- either spending more per child, having more children, or both.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Val Offline
    Is it just me, or am I the only one that has considered that the world doesn't exactly seem to know what to do with the "smart" people that it currently has? Maybe having more of them (relatively speaking) isn't going to help very much if they're still being NCLB-ed to death in schools anyway...

Sort of, but not really. The world has a reasonably easy time dealing with smart people in general. The problematic ones are the ones who are highly gifted and beyond (think about the term optimally gifted and you'll understand what I mean).

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM