Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    C
    C
    Not that I disagree with Dottie much wink , but I did want to mention that my dd12 is not a DYS level kid but we have still not found her to be ideally gifted. She was tested on the WISC-IV at 7 yrs 4 months and was a very erratic little person who didn't cooperate well but came out at the 99th percentile point if we give her the extra points from the extended norms. She is likely a tad higher than that testing showed due to a number of factors, but still not likely 99.9.

I don't know if it is just our area where the GT programming is filled with kids who got a 95th percentile score on any one part of a group ability test after a lot of hothousing or what, but she's stood out like a sore thumb and has needed a lot of accommodations beyond what the schools typically offer. Right now she fits well and doesn't stand out as being ridiculously misplaced but that is primarily due to her being btwn 1-2.5 yrs younger than her grade mates (bd made her one of the youngest in her grade and she skipped a grade).

Point being -- I wouldn't necessarily assume that you don't need to work a bit out of the box for a 99th percentile kid.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    The best profile all around might possibly be one that has all scores in the low to mid 120's, and crosses a needed 130 mark for GT services.
    Yeah, and that's definitely not my kiddo. She had a couple 8s, a couple 17s, a 19+, etc. In hindsight, I'd say that the 8 on one of the processing speed tests was probably pretty accurate (she's deep, not fast), but the 8 in block design was likely due to her refusal to complete the test and the tester continually pressing her to work faster which caused further shutting down/lack of cooperation.

L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks All.
    Grin - he is skipping K and heading straight for 1st... at a private school for "bright and gifted"... Hope he can hang!!
    He does a lot of "extra"... always adding stuff to his own assignments.. hope this continues!
    Looking forward to seeing all the subtest scores - should be around 2 weeks from now.

A
    A
    Hi grinity ,
    i joined the forum recently , have been reading your posts with interest. My DD4 will be testing this year ( probably in winter ) for applications to kindergarten for 2012. i am just finding out about testing , gifted issues etc. and was wondering if you could give some insight on what would be the best time to test her for wppsi and SB , if she is 4 now.

also , is their anything we can do to help boost her scores , like games / puzzles etc

also , what should i look for when i look for a tester
    thanks

Originally Posted by amom
    if you could give some insight on what would be the best time to test her for wppsi and SB , if she is 4 now.

also , is their anything we can do to help boost her scores , like games / puzzles etc
    Hi Amon,
    Welcome! So glad you found us. As for doing anything at all to boost her scores, I strongly recommend that you stay away from that idea. As I posted above:
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    LOL on testing at 6y3month - now I get it that this shows your son to his 'best advantage.'
    Personally - I'd rather test at 6y1.5months to get the 'most accurate read possible' than goose it to get the 'most likely to cross DYS line' scores. But that's because messing with my head is so easy to do - I like to keep my feet on the ground as much as possible.

Take a look at this post re: WPPSI vs SBV
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....test_for_4_years_10_month.html#Post98096

Of course it's natural to want to prepare our children for the experience of being tested. I love this article:
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/test_prep.htm

You might also want to get a copy of this book:
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10359.aspx
    for the review. The name has recently changed to '5 levels of giftednes' - so either edition is good for a read.

Some say that the best time to test is when you have a question that needs to be answered. I guess the question in your post is: "Is my child a good fit for school x,y, or z." In that case, try and use a tester that the schools regard highly.

I would also encourage you to do a 'tushie test' for each school before you use that to decide to set up a tester appointment. I developed the 'tushie test' and what it means is that you physically sit in the classroom for 20 minutes, very quietly and observe the teacher and the students and the feel of the classroom. Try to observe a few different grades and teachers, and mentally compare what the kids are doing to what you child is doing academically, and socially. Look at the book on the Library Shelf. Is there a nice range of challenging book that your child would enjoy? Are they all 'baby books?' Are any of the children clearly bored? Do any children have their 'own special work' that is a different level than the other kids. Are the teacher more interested in teaching the children to sit still and listen and wait politely or in sparking the love of learning - or can they do both at the same time?

As far as testers - it would be nice if they can also provide needed parenting guidance, in addition to spitting out a rareness score. Remember the IQ test doesn't tell 'how smart' a child is, it only measures how unusual a child's smartness level is.

I hope that's not TMI all at once - Welcome!
    Since you are new, I'll remind you that we are 'experts' rather than professional experts - just moms and dads who have been around the block a few time.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    A
    thanks grinity

Originally Posted by Dottie
    Most of his scores are at the 99th percentile, yes that's good. If you are lucky, he'll be just smart enough to thrive in any setting without having to go to extremes. He's off to a fantastic start.

Keep in mind that the DYS program is for kids that are incredibly extreme. Not making those cuts does not mean a kid isn't quite smart. Really, the 99th percentile sounds ideal at times, smile .

I thought 99.9th percentile only meant in the top thousandth. That's not that incredible, is it? Am I missing something? I never realized until this moment how many people must be able to qualify for DYS. (And happy because it gives me a lot of hope.)

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    I thought 99.9th percentile only meant in the top thousandth. That's not that incredible, is it? Am I missing something? I never realized until this moment how many people must be able to qualify for DYS. (And happy because it gives me a lot of hope.)
    Yes, it is 1 in 1,000. I could be wrong, but due to the need to have both ability and achievement scores in that range, I suspect the # who qualify might be somewhat less than 1 in 1,000. I have a kiddo who qualified on IQ but has never had achievement scores quite that high and who is 2e. I'd have to guess that there are others in a similar situation.

Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Yes, it is 1 in 1,000. I could be wrong, but due to the need to have both ability and achievement scores in that range, I suspect the # who qualify might be somewhat less than 1 in 1,000.
    Very Good point. I've always focused on the other half. Since a child only needs to have over 145 in either Verbal or Performance or GAI there are a lot of kids (like mine) who have a Full Scale much less than 145 (1 in 1000) but still qualify on the IQ portion. So I don't see my son as 'exactly' 1 in 1000 for the population, and guess that he's closer to 1 in 500. I may have to 'up' my estimate now though- seeing Cricket's good point.

I find it heartbreaking when it comes time to actually draw a line. Do I think Cricket's child is 'less gifted' than mine? Of course not. I think that all programs targeted to gifted kids should have 'steps' to cover the various 'rareness bands.' I've worked hard to create a place (right here) where parents of 'near Davidson' kids can get the best of what DYS offers. I hope it's working for parents of 'near DYS' kids and will continue to work.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Originally Posted by Iucounu
    I wish I could see the look on your face Iucounu. You are absolutely correct! Anyone mathy want to calculate the number of people in the U.S. that potentially could have qualified for DYS if it had existed in when they were children? It sure isn't the same as number of Nobel prize winners - it's a big giant number!

Still rare enough to confuse excellent school-related people, but really, not that rare at all!

Grins,
    Grinity

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing