Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Good Morning!
    For all who have seen DS's WPPSI and WJ scores.... do you think I should have him take the SB?? Have opportunity to do it tomorrow with the wonderful Dr. David Palmer... should I bite the costly bullet and hope for a DYS qualifying score? And more information for my perpetually bored 5 and a half year old son???? Have to make decision within next few hours! HELP!!!!!

L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    just checking that this answer comes to my phone

Besides the scores, would testing also buy you some advocacy and guidance from Dr. Palmer? If so, I say yes.

Do you think your son's SB 5 scores will be higher than his WPPSI scores? There are plenty of bored kids who are not in the DYS range, and plenty of advocacy advice here - as good, I think, as inside the walls. But if your heart is telling you that the other scores are an underestimate - spend the money. If you are right, then you'll be so relieved you did.

Good luck either way,
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    yes, it would buy some face time with Dr. Palmer who is amazing. I really don't think his scores will be higher... then again, he astounds me daily. what got me, was last weekend he had a play date with a friend from school, and they wanted to do such different things although they get along very well. After the friend left, he said "do you still love me even though I'm different?". Killed me. And i am very nervous about his grade skip... so I hope that Dr. Palmer can reassure me that he is ready for that. still not sure what we are going to do.... will certainly let you all know!!

L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Well, we did it.
    NVIQ 135
    VIQ 141
    FSIQ 140

FR 147
    KN 120
    QR 130
    VS 137
    VM 138

L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    More details to foloow

L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    it was fast!!! and i will put the DYS application to rest for a year or so, and see where it leads... thanks for the input and support!!

L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Really? Do you mean it? Feel like he doesn't compare here....

L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I feel good about it. Dr Palmer explained how his scores are really well balanced, and that coupled with his achievement scores, that he is really "using" his brain and that he has excellent concentration and application. What I love is that it makes so much sense when looking at ds. He's a smart cookie and is quirky and so so fun. Dr Palmer thinks that once he enters 1st grade next year that we could easily see scores bumped up especially on the WISC which he suggests administering when ds is 6 years 3 months (and he will discount the price!). For now, we will just ride out this school year, although he is slightly bored academically but having fun socially, and see what the future holds.
    Thank you for all your support!!!!! Will keep you all posted!!

Way to go Lukemac!
    Great that you are seeing self-application and concentration.
    Lots of kids, even with those extra 5 points to cross the DYS line find Kindy kind of fun, especially if it's half day.
    Awesome on the retest discount - LOL on testing at 6y3month - now I get it that this shows your son to his 'best advantage.'
    Personally - I'd rather test at 6y1.5months to get the 'most accurate read possible' than goose it to get the 'most likely to cross DYS line' scores. But that's because messing with my head is so easy to do - I like to keep my feet on the ground as much as possible. Of course, if you think that everyone else is waiting until 6.3, then keep the plan - you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot over the 'SUV problem.'

The problem is that if you knowingly goose the scores, you may end up spending tons more money than you would need too under more acurate circumstances.

Of course, depending on how good the child is a 'self-differentiation' - and some kids are excellent as 'squeezing every drop' out of an assignment (different than aiming for perfection in a dangerous way) by adding creativity to the mix - if the current scores are accurate then your child - and depending you the demographics of your local schools - you child might be fitting right in at the public school or a total fish out of water - personality matters.

Read up on Sylvia Rimm's parenting books and get ready to 'ask you son for more' academically. One boy we know had a family rule that if the teacher asked for one paragraph, he had to write 2. If the teacher asked for 6 pages, he had to write 12. That kid was much more gifted than my son, but didn't need the gradeskip because he was getting excellent parenting.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs