Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #98362 03/31/11 11:18 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I don't have my son's results in front of me, but he was just tested using the KABC-II and most of his scores fell in the high one-teens to low to mid one-twenties, with the "knowledge" portion being 138. The psychologist said he had some behavior issues during the test (unfocused, kept interrupting and talking, etc) and that his scores were probably a bit higher.

He has consistently scored in the 99th percentile of his MAP reading and math tests (except for one time getting a really low score in reading, but I/we think it was due to behavior that day). They test with MAP three times a year, so he's taken it five times (he's in second grade).

He has been diagnosed with ADHD, Sensory Integration Disorder, and Anxiety. And after the psychoeducational eval done by the school, with reading and writing disabilities. He is on grade level in reading, but below in writing.

He is a very curious child and his verbal skills are excellent. He's very witty and can apply what he has learned (and learns in a flash) very easily and naturally. Excellent memory.

I'm just wondering if a school psychologist giving this test usually gets accurate results, if his sensory problems and ADHD could be part of the reason why he didn't get higher numbers, why is the "knowledge" score so much higher than the rest, and is this common...

I have a lot of questions that the school psychologist just couldn't answer. I'd love to take him for an independent eval, but it's just not in our budget right now.

Also, he seems to read much better - perform much better when given a computerized test. Any ideas why?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by chekhov_liszt; 03/31/11 11:21 AM.
    A
    A
    Chehkov-liszt,

Because your child is being evaluated partly to see if he has disabilities that are interfering with his education, your child has some protection under the IDEA. If you disagree with the results of your school's evaluation, they have to pay for you to have an independent evaluation with the evaluator of your choice, provided that your evaluator meets the general requirements (licensure in your state, etc) to conduct the kind of evaluation you are asking for, or they have to go to court to prove that their evaluation was correct. Your request for an IEE should be in writing. You do not have to give a reason why you disagree, although you will almost certainly be pressed to do so. Check out Wrightslaw and read through the copy of the Procedural Safeguards that you were given by the school. If you don't still have your copy, they will provide you with another one.

As for your other questions -

Have you had his vision thoroughly evaluated (not the screenings at the school or pediatrician's office)? Problems with convergence are often worse close up, and the computer reading distance is usually further away than desk. Also, in most computerized tests, there is only one question presented at a time, so the "page" is less distracting and less visually confusing. The text size might also be larger, or the contrast might be different. All of these factors can make a difference in how easy the test is to read on computer vs. on paper.

You've also noted that your son has been diagnosed with writing issues, and the handwriting component is absent on a computerized test, so that probably helps him focus on the actual material rather than having to struggle with writing to get his answer out correctly.

Something else to consider is that some of this might be related to the other issues you already I'm know that you are dealing with. I'm not an OT, but if you are seeing an OT who is trained in Sensory Integration issues and retained relfexes, you can double check what I am saying here. My son's OT told us that many kids with SI dysfunction also have retained infantile reflexes which can interfere with academic performance in a number of ways. For example, if your son has a retained ATNR or STNR, looking down at the desk or trying to look back and forth from a book to a paper, etc., can be very difficult because of the reflex reactions that make it hard to focus and that make the child move in their seat, or that make the hand jerk a little bit every time the head turns a little. The computer screen doesn't require these head movements, so your son might have an easier time concentrating with that format. (A retained palmar grasp, STNR, or ATNR can also impact writing significantly.)

Just some things to think about.

Good luck.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...