Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    My younger son is 6 and finishing K. At the beginning of the year I told the teacher he already taught himself how to read. She nodded and was there for a few weeks, realized he was reading on at least a second grade level and then went out on maternity leave for 12 weeks (her baby came way earlier than expected). In January, she tested him again and he is now in a reading group of one because he tested 4th grade reading. He was screened for gifted but he missed the cut off in the screening by a few points. I am going with the assumption that he is gifted and will have him re-screened next year mainly because he fits the many list of descriptors for gifted children (and we have several PG family members).

I have 3 options for next year for him.

Option 1-- Continue in his present elementary school and accelerate his reading to at least 3rd grade (either within his class or going to a 3rd grade classroom) and possibly differentiating his math within the first grade class.

Option 2--Dual Language Immersion (Spanish/English) with 60% of the classwork taught in English and 40% taught in Spanish. They claimed they differentiate for students but I need to talk more about that with them. A lot of his learning drive and need for enrichment would be spent learning a second language. He was thrilled with the idea when we went to the information night.

Option 3--Homeschool

I am putting his name in the lottery for Option 2 and am leaning to that option.

Older son

Currently in 5th grade, moving to middle school. Waiting on testing for gifted from school. Has some social difficulties due to Aspergers dx but holding his own in 5th grade. Worried about 6th grade though. Both my husband and I have taught in middle schools and just don't see middle school being a positive experience for him.

Options...zoned middle school, homeschool and taking some classes via virtual school.

Zoned middle school isn't that understanding about AS dx. Also very worried about bullying.

Homeschooling and virtual schooling would allow him flexibility to go at his own pace, follow his own interests, and NO homework after the school day is over...he swims so trying to fit in all the stupid homework is so hard with his daily practice. He has a friend on the swim team that is also AS and is now doing virtual school.

Not sure about my older son at all.

I think the swimming plus friend option has some potential. Can the two do academics together as well? What about auditing classes at any local community college for the older? Good luck whatever you choose for DS5th. Any possibility of private schools - some have high flexibility...

For younger I'm worried about the 60% classwork taught in English, and tend to think that if you can get subject accls in English and Math at the school it might be a better fit for a little longer. I would certainly observe the DLI program with my own eyeballs before I said 'yes' - OTOH the DLI program would probably be a good challenge for at least 6 months....I think that the people executing the program matter more than the program.

I also have a hard time believing that you DS isn't in the gifted program when he is in a reading group of one. Makes no sense. Please ask, now, if there is an alternative screening mechanism.

Love and more Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    No DS (Kindergartener) is in a reading group of one basically but he failed to meet criteria for the gifted screening. They allow you to rescreen after a year goes by. He is a early reader (taught himself last summer before K) and reads quite well for a 6 year old (December birthday) and he has a few other gifted characteristics but I don't think he is PG. But who knows, there are a few PG members of our family.

We put in the application for the DLI program but that is a lottery so who knows if he will get it.

Our 2nd option is to request that additional acceleration be done at his zoned school. He could easily do 3rd or 4th reading with the 3rd or 4th grade class next year...or just use that text book in his first grade class. Math is way too easy for him also but not quite as big a discrepancy.

Our third option with him is to homeschool him and give him exactly what he needs. I have homeschooled before and can do it again. Crossing fingers that he gets his named pulled in the lottery.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 01:03 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets