Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #97135 03/17/11 01:21 PM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    My 5.5 year old took the WJ-III achievement test so we could apply for DYS. I just got back a summary of the scores from the psychologist. These are the subtest scores. Is there a quick way to calculate the Broad Reading/Math/Writing scores from these and see if any of them are higher than 145? She said she will get back to me in a couple of days with the information, but I'm really really curious smile

Letter-Word Identification 176
    Reading Fluency 166
    Calculation 160
    Math Fluency 136
    Spelling 145
    Writing Fluency 123
    Passage Comprehension 153
    Applied Problems 127
    Writing Samples 154

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Thank you so much!

Off to look at the application now!

Last edited by DrinkMoreWater; 03/17/11 01:47 PM.
    A
    A
    No, they *must* use the Normative Update software, which made some major changes, including some which may push the broad achievement clusters downwards. I've seen it happen, and went several rounds with the company and the test authors to figure out why it was happening. If it happens in this case, then the person writing the report needs to explain why that happened (have them contact me if they're not sure why it did) and make a thoughtful recommendation for how the scores should be interpreted.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    I just heard from the tester, and the scores are:
    Broad Reading: 172
    Broad Math: 157
    Broad Writing: 158

We're a little surprised because we always thought of N as a intuitively mathy kid who HATES to write.

A follow up question - can the age equivalents in the report be roughly interpreted as grade levels? For instance, if the Age Equivalent for Broad Reading is 10, would it be fair to say that DS is reading at a 4th/5th grade level? Our school doesnt know much about testing or gifted at the K level and I'm trying to translate the results for the teacher smile

Originally Posted by DrinkMoreWater
    I just heard from the tester, and the scores are:
    We're a little surprised because we always thought of N as a intuitively mathy kid who HATES to write.
    Don't get crazy with the relative scores - the socres are only relative rareness in relation to other kids of his age - not relative to each other, SWIM?
    So if you think he's an intuitively mathy kid who hates to write, he probably is - but it's that other kids his age probably hate to write even more!

I have no info about how the test relates to grade level - most achievement tests are terrible about this, but sometimes schools don't realize this and will use them. It's more logical to use whatever test they use for evaluating reading and see how far up your child goes until the child isn't not average - rather has a good bit of company at the top.

If you have a list of books that your child enjoys reading at home, you can google the book's title and 'Lexile' or whatever system your particular school uses to rate book levels, to see what grade level your child is reading at. Then one has to look at the actual children at the local school and see what grade-level books they are reading, as it could be much lower or much higher than 'grade-level' - and if that makes any sense at all, you have my sympathies!

((wink))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    And it looks to me like this is a case in point of someone still using the older software, as those numbers match up very nicely with my 2.0 version.

She's sending the report directly to Davidson, and I'll let them sort it out between them smile Hopefully Broad Reading will still be above the 145 cut-off even with the new scoring.

The AE/GE numbers do mean something, but they are not the end all. Yes, he's reading at a level of your average 10 year old, which is a totally different child than the one you have. There is of course much more to reading than a brief test such as this, but it's definitely worth at least putting the information out there. He's very obviously well advanced of your typical K student.

This is really complicated! So if I understand it right, he did as well in this test as an average 10 year old would, but that does not mean he can read what is required of a 10 year old in 4th/5th grade?

In math, for instance, given the questions asked he did as well as a 7.5 year old would, but a 7.5 year old may know tons of things (or a 2nd grade curriculum may have many topics) that DS knows nothing about? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how comprehensive is the test across basic grade level curriculum? If my son scores at 7.5 age equivalent in math, can I assume that he knows most of the things 6 year olds are taught in first grade?

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Thank you! That clarifies things enormously.

DS is all over the place with his skills since he is largely self-taught, and that makes it hard to figure out the "right spot" for him. His teacher assessed him at 1st grade level (10 DRA) in reading because even though he can read anything, he can't (or won't) do an acceptable "retelling" of the 1st grade leveled reader. He absolutely can't (or won't) find any "personal connections" to the 1st grade leveled textbook. Its so frustrating!

C
    C
    Um... that's because 1st grade level text in DRA is boring and has no personal connection :-) What are they supposed to say? "I sat on a mat once too with my dog Spot!"

Been there done that... got them to bump my YS's DRA up to 44 and look, magically and suddenly there was all sorts of retelling and personal connections! Now, we are in a school that doesn't cut off the grade level on DRA. This is tricky because many say that a 1st grader cannot be allowed past 14 or 16 or whatever arbitrary level they stop at per grade.

Last edited by CAMom; 03/21/11 11:05 AM.
    That is the problem with 'school based' assesments - there is such an entrenched custom to 'only test up to x'or 'only test x levels in one sitting.'

Still, if you can get someone thinking outside the box, just a bit, you can figure out a place to start.
    Flexibility all around is the name of the game!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs