Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 369 guests, and 34 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Morning all (or evening depending where you're staying),
    My son is 10 years old in 4th grade and recently started attending his school's gifted pullout program. It's one day a week for most of the day. It doesn't start until 9 am since they bus the kids from other schools. Anyhow, that's unimportand. My son dreads Thursdays and whines and complains about how he doesn't want to go to gifted class. When asked why, he replies that it's boring?! How is this possible? It's supposed to be fun for gifted kids right? When I try to get a more in depth answer, he says he misses his friend from regular class (autistic friend) and would rather be bored in regular class with his friend than bored in gifted class with kids he doesn't know. I told him I'd talk to the gifted teacher and he said he'd rather I didn't and that he'd just go frown Would it be rude of me to talk to the teacher about why my son is saying he's bored? I don't want to offend her but I want my son to enjoy school and actually learn.

Hi, LotsOtots5

I mostly lurk around, but I wanted to reply here:)

It could be that he truly is bored, because the pull out classes aren't always terribly challenging. Also, they may not be working on a topic he enjoys. When my son attended, they spent a month on some LA topic ("gag") followed by a month on astronomy ("cool"). Perhaps they'll be moving on to a new topic soon. Maybe the teacher could give you some insight into what they'll be covering, and you can use that info. to encourage your DS to hang tough. The teacher can be a great source of information. She may get defensive if you jump right in with "he's bored". I would tell her that your son seems unhappy with his new class, then try to learn more about the curriculum and the class dynamics. With more information, you will be better informed and better able to ascertain the true nature of the problem.

It could be that he is lonely and overwhelmed by all the new faces. Speaking as an introvert, one of those weirdos who would rather go to the library than a party, this can be a major turn-off! Again, if he can hang tough just a little while longer, those new faces will become familiar.

When my ds 10 says that he is bored, there is often something else going on.

Good luck smile

Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by LotsOtots5
    he says he misses his friend from regular class (autistic friend) and would rather be bored in regular class with his friend than bored in gifted class with kids he doesn't know.

Sounds pretty straightforward to me! Just because a class is "for gifted kids", that doesn't necessarily mean it's advanced enough for him. The school's idea of gifted is usually not as "out there" as most of us here really need. And if you're going to be bored, it certainly seems like it would be less irritating to do it with someone you know.

On the other hand, "bored" can be a code word for any number of things, and it wouldn't hurt to talk to the teacher and see what's really going on -- ask what your DS does in the class, mention that he doesn't seem to be connecting with it, and is there anything you can do to help him get more out of it. The boredom/hatred stories about school that I get out of my DS do not always have deep roots, or any at all, in the truth, so I use a lot of "what's going on with..." and "what do we need to do..." in talking with his teachers.

How long has he been going to the gifted pull-out? For a few weeks or months, or since September?

Usually there is something else underneath the "boredom" issue, so I agree with the other posters that it is worth looking into. But I think Nautigal is right that it just may not be all that great as a program (as he ever expressed enthusiasm for it?).

Could the fact his friend is autistic be causing the other kids to tease or avoid him? I would definitely talk to the teacher, but I would not say that he says he is bored, but say that he is expressing disinterest and you are wondering if she has noticed any social/learning dynamics that could be contributing.

Good luck, Cat

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM