Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi, My family and I are moving to the Greensboro area. We are looking at the Academy at Lincoln. Anyone familiar with this school? I would love some insight.

Thank you
    spirited mama

I just saw this -

PAGE of Wake County in Raleigh, NC � Super Saturday
    PAGE of Wake County in Raleigh, NC is hosting their Super Saturday on April 2nd, 2011. Super Saturday is held twice per year, typically in April and November. It�s a chance for gifted kids (K-8) to get together with one another and enjoy fun classes on a variety of topics, and a chance for their parents to hear from guest speakers and network with one another. It will be held at Cary Academy in Cary, NC. Registration opens soon. You can go to pagepage.org for more information

I know it's a bit far from Greensboro, but they would be good folks to ask about Greensboro info maybe - Good luck - Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks! Might be worth checking out the event.

I'm concerned because the school seems to be a good FT GT program but it's located in one of the more lower performing Greensboro city schools. Not sure what the social implications would be or if the GT program is in it's own area yet.

Still need to go take a look.

J
    J
    I don't know much about the schools there, but have a few friends that went through the school system, one of whom is extremely bright. His mother was a teacher in the school system as well. She always spoke highly of the area schools.

I do know however that there is a restaurant there (I lived there for about 6 months as a young adult) that makes the most incredible homemade chips. I just wish I could remember the name for you.

Good luck.

JJsMom,
    Would it be Ham's restaurant on High Point Rd?
    I went to Guilford College, but sorry, not much knowledge of local school system either, Spiritedmama. But my knowledge of tasty food is thorough. smile

Originally Posted by spiritedmama
    I'm concerned because the school seems to be a good FT GT program but it's located in one of the more lower performing Greensboro city schools. Not sure what the social implications would be or if the GT program is in it's own area yet.

Still need to go take a look.
    This seems to be a common strategy - my cousin has a few of her's in a similar situation in the West. They've been thrilled.
    Best Wishes,
    Grinity

J
    J
    Originally Posted by radwild
    JJsMom,
    Would it be Ham's restaurant on High Point Rd?
    I went to Guilford College, but sorry, not much knowledge of local school system either, Spiritedmama. But my knowledge of tasty food is thorough. smile

To be honest, I had no idea of the name, but I google mapped it. That's it. YUM.

J
    J
    Friends of mine have sent their kids there, driving across town twice a day to do it. The gifted program is indeed selective, and distinct from the rest of the school. In fact, I just found this discussion forum looking for more info on this school because if our family moved in order to better serve our gifted children, Greensboro's Lincoln is one of the places we would consider worth the move.

Hi JV
    Welcome and thanks for the info!
    Grinity

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs