Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 271 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #96128 03/04/11 03:25 PM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    So dd3 (about to turn 4) is scheduled for WPPSI in April. I would never have imagined choosing to test my child this young (prior to parenting her for the past 3 years!) I feel there are some practical reasons to test her, but honestly, I also just.want.to know what we are dealing with.

I only chose to have dd10 tested to qualify for the gifted pull-out at the local ps (she is in a private Montessori school) to give her exposure 1 day a week to a large public school (eating in the cafeteria etc.--it was a shock considering at her school they play classical music and have flowers on the tables and it is generally a lovely, peaceful lunch!) and being identified really hasn't changed that much academically for her.

But dd3 just seems like she *could* be one of those 99.9% kids (and of course I could be totally wrong about this--she isn't doing the math/reading stuff I've read about, but other things that make my jaw drop) but I think we need to know. For this year and possibly next I think we can meet her needs. After that it will become more challenging and I think we will need the test results to advocate effectively for her. She is a kid who could easily be labeled as ADHD when not challenged appropriately (if I thought she really did have ADHD I wouldn't have a problem with that).

I don't think the tester has tons of experience with >MG kids (lots of experience with "regular" gifted kids, ASD, and she also tested my son who has Down syndrome) but you can't beat the price. I figure it makes sense to do the WPPSI now rather than when she older and might hit the ceilings and save our money for the WISC with a tester who specializes in the gifted.

So...am I crazy? My parents and dh are acting like they are humoring me...the director of her school (and also my boss!) did not seem to understand why I want to do it now. I appreciate your feedback!

Well, if you can't beat the price. I mean if you're getting a really really good deal on it I could stretch my imagination and think it would be useful in considering her future, "over prepare, then go with the flow". They call it something ugly, they call it a vanity test if you test before five, without a reason, and pay for it. I saw it mentioned somewhere online. I don't know why "they" are always so ugly and judgmental about everything in the world. You're a helicopter mom, or a hothouser, or cold, bah...

Disclaimer: deacongirl, I know you've read these boards long enough to know that scores before 9yrs old are unstable, before 5 are very unstable, i think they change again around 17 and 21. And turning 30 changes the relevance of it all anyway.
    And you know there's as much diversity among members of any given level of giftedness as there is among members of a famous sports team. There's different learning styles and learning preferences, even varying levels of nerdyness among members of the same LOG, and some bloom later than others. So don't expect the test to tell you what to expect.
    However, you already know all this so it's quite ok for you to go ahead. I'm waiting for the free public school tests and/or a reason that I have to pay for one. But I know how three year olds are. They do this or that in front of you and witnesses at least a dozen times before they swear they don't know how to do it. Actually my grandmother says they're not faking, that kids minds wander and they learn something, then they go on to something else, then they can't remember the first thing. But they didn't forget it. It's in the back of their mind and they'll get back around to it sooner or later. I'm glad she said that because I think I remember realizing I was doing something like that at one point.
    If I knew someone who would do the test cheap I'd probably do it out of curiosity.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    I figure it makes sense to do the WPPSI now rather than when she older and might hit the ceilings and save our money for the WISC with a tester who specializes in the gifted.

So...am I crazy?
    I don't think you are crazy Deac, especially with a kid that isn't your typical 'early reader' PG type. Tex's numbers seem off to me, but I don't have any better ones. Perhaps you can get achievement numbers to and qualify for DYS..perhaps you can get the preschool to allow her to play with the older kids...perhaps you will do an early entrance. Perhaps you just want to know...that is allowed, particularly if the price is right.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks La Texican.

Yes, it is a really good price--we def. couldn't swing what it typically costs in other places. I am honestly glad though--b/c again while I do believe that there are legitimate reasons to test her now, I am also extremely curious. I think it will be good to get some sort of idea at least. I did mention to the psych that she could be very silly, psych said, well, duh--she is 3! haha!

The thing is, that I am such the opposite of a helicopter mom or a hothouser...in fact I sometimes feel bad for the lack of 1:1 attn. dd3 gets.

So it makes it even more amazing to me all of the things she has completely taught herself to do at what seems to me to be unusually early...somersaults, climbing, buttoning, zipping, opening anything, cutting with scissors, holding a pencil correctly, writing her name, etc. etc.

Thanks for the feedback!

edited to add: have to admit that I could identify with that tempted to hothouse thread--and if dd3 showed a lot of interest in reading I think I would be dedicating some time to it--if only in my own enlightened self interest! Much more peaceful if she were reading a book than climbing the walls!

Last edited by deacongirl; 03/04/11 05:42 PM.
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Grinity, thanks! I really do just want to know! And because we have a move at some point on the horizon, it will help as we look at potential schools, and possibly consider early K. If the WPPSI indicates we could apply to DYS what achievement tests are best for a kid like her?

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    As long as you understand all the landmines that come with testing at that age, I think you are fine. I just double checked what subtests she'd get. I knew there was a shorter version that would provide much less information, but at 4 she would get the same as the older kids.

Another important thing to consider about the WPPSI/WISC is that the former relies more on crystallized intelligence. For instance, the information section is a core sub test in WPPSI and an optional one in WISC.

All achievement tests measure reading and math so if that is not what she is about at this time, then I would not pursue AT until later (you can't even apply to DYS until 5, so even if she hit the 150 score, you'd need to wait). My ODD was clearly very smart but she was not an early academics type of kid. The academic gap from her age peers only increased over time.

Originally Posted by deacongirl
    ....because we have a move at some point on the horizon, it will help as we look at potential schools, and possibly consider early K...

It seems to me that getting the testing information now might be very helpful for you if a move is even a possibility.

I've experienced the "move machine" and it starts it's engine and suddenly you're in a new place trying to find accommodations for 3 kids with all their different needs.... It can take a while to "land on your feet". I totally see why you'd want to test now, taking the results with a grain of salt, just so you have something to show potential schools when shopping for K/1st. If you end up testing her with the wisc and you never show the preschool test results to a single school administrator, at least you had them in your back pocket.

Originally Posted by herenow
    It seems to me that getting the testing information now might be very helpful for you if a move is even a possibility.

Here's the link to YSP acceptable tests:
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...holars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

Originally Posted by http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/tests.htm#wj
    Woodcock Johnson tests of Achievement III can be given at age 2, and has very high ceilings so is often the most recommended test for gifted kids, according to Hoagie's list of Tests.

Wechsler Individual Achievement Test (WIAT) ages 4-19 or grades pre-K-12 plus college, ceiling = 160
    Individual achievement test. Published by Harcourt Assessment

Kaufman Test of Educational Achievement (K-TEA) grades 1-12
    Measures school achievement. Administered individually, by professional with graduate level training in testing or guidance. Published by American Guidance Service, Inc.

I would go ahead and test now if your DD seems to like the tester and the price is right - I'm sure there are very few other kids at 4 who are more academic than she is even if she looks disinterested to you. Do you really have access to large numbers of normally distributed 4 year olds? I know I don't!

I wonder what an achievement test for 1 years olds would look like? Must be very sweet!

Spend the money and have some relief!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    I
    I selfishly totally support your testing :-) -- because it helps me with my own heuristics determining where our DD3 might fall. I have found it very helpful to read others' milestones and associated test scores. We are in the same boat - our DD3 is looking like HG+ (but who knows) -- if he is, it would affect choices we make in the next year (schools, early K, moving!).

I go through these cycles (maybe he is maybe he isn't). If he goes through a few weeks or months without doing something out-of-the-ordinary, I am convinced he is not HG+. But when he does, I am convinced he is (e.g., he recently learned/obsessively state/capitals/and ALL countries in a matter of days...on his own...reading & referencing...and now he can't walk through the parking lot without pointing out what country EACH puddle looks like :-). So this week - he looks HG+ to me....but that will change I am sure.

I TOTALLY sympathize with your wanting to know...I am there too :-). Good luck!!

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Islandtime--after reading that I don't know if I think she is HG anymore, lol! But yes, I always appreciate reading about milestones and test scores too. Will def. come back here to share results after testing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM